5 Quick and Cheap Thanksgiving Decor Ideas!
by Kathy Wilson
Save on Turkey Day Entertaining
Real and Frugal Thanksgiving Decorations
Feast on Thanksgiving Savings
Thanksgiving is a special time in my house. It reminds us to take time out of our busy lives and remember how very thankful we truly are for the blessings of family. It is also a gateway for the busy (and sometimes expensive!) holiday season! So here are some great ideas to bump up the autumn splendor in your home, while saving that spending money for other things!
- Set a backdrop for your Thanksgiving celebrations! Layer fabrics on windows and tables, bring out the area rugs (you can layer them too!) and switch out some of your more summery accessories for things with rich colors and feel. This doesn't have to be expensive. Visit your own linen closet for quilts and sheets that can be pressed into service, or take a trip to your local thrift store to check out what they might have there. Make pretty no-sew placemats from warm colors of fleece. Call up a few friends and see if they have linens or accessories to trade. Make an afternoon tea out of it.
- Invest in a package or two of silk fall leaves. They only cost a couple of dollars at the discount store, so use them as lavishly as your budget allows. Tuck them behind picture frames, sprinkle them on tabletops, and even pin them to your guest towels. Nothing brings that warmth to a home more than fall's splendor.
- Rearrange your family living areas. Think about how redirecting your seating arrangements might create conversational areas, and warm up the look of a room. Try the sofa on a diagonal, or use the loveseat at the dining table. Move a rarely used chair to a corner and add some throws and pillows for a reading spot. A new view can be charming and fresh, and who knows, maybe you actually will get around to that book!
- Create a little snack or breakfast table in a corner of your kitchen with a cheap card table and some layered linens. Accessorize it with a basket of apples, and keep a place setting or two always set for that impromptu hot cider with your spouse or kids. These touches add warmth whether we use them or not, just knowing they are there for us.
- Finally, make ordinary moments special times of Thanksgiving. Serve Monday night burgers on your best china, set a vase of fall flowers out at breakfast, or visit a farmers market and display your finds in pretty baskets from the dollar shop. Tie fall ribbon on the backs of dining chairs, around throw pillows or guest towels. Use dry erase marker to write inspirational messages on the bathroom mirrors for your kids and for your guests.
Use these great ideas for your home today, and find out how thankful your loved ones are that you cared enough to make their home as special as can be, without spending more than you need to!
Kathy Wilson is an author, columnist, and editor of The Budget Decorator. For hundreds of free budget decorating ideas and to sign up for her free newsletter and ebook, visit her at TheBudgetDecorator.com
Take the Next Step
- Think Warm! Decorate with Pillows
- Do some Frugal Fall Home Decorating with the Kids!
- Set up a Happy Thoughts Board for the warm holiday season!
- Check out Overstock.com for great deals on all of your home decorating needs!
- Visit our "Frugal Home Decorating and Remodeling" board on Pinterest.
Discuss "Thanksgiving Decorations" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?