Worn Engine Mounts
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I am a single grammy living on small income, and my 1995 Saturn will be my last car. The mechanic told me the car was vibrating from worn car mounts and would cost around $300 to fix. I cannot afford this and do not understand what car mounts are. I can handle the vibrating. Is it dangerous to let this go? And what exactly are car mounts?
We just had a guy in the shop the other day with a problem. His engine mounts were worn. On his way in, they broke and the engine literally fell out of the car. The only thing holding the engine in the car was that it was resting on some lines and hoses. If he hit a good hard bump while coasting to his stop, it would have fallen out. I don't mean to frighten you, and also note that this is the extreme. I have never seen engine mounts fail like this before. I am only stating that this is not something you can let go for very long.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Cleaning coffee stains on carpeting
- Is it a DIY job? How to tell
- Don't kill your small engine!
- Choosing a new freezer
- Laundry the old-fashioned way
- Applying engineering techniques to pesky household problems
- 25 tips and tricks for an organized move
- Tiling a shower stall
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?