Cold Stalling F150
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1990 Ford F150 V8. I don't drive it a great deal because it is used for DIY projects. Lately, I have been having an issue with it. I used to be able to go out, start it up and just go. Now, I find that I have to pump the gas a few times to get it to even start. Once I get it started, it will run for a few minutes and then stall. I then restart it again and will give it constant gas for a few minutes. It will seem to stay started until I either attempt to put it into gear or after I begin driving. It will then stall again. I go through this until the engine seems to warm up and then I don't seem to have a problem anymore.
In an attempt to fix the problem, I added fuel cleaner to the gas tanks (there are two) and put on a new fuel filter and air filter. None of these seemed to do the trick. Since I have two tanks and it does the same thing regardless of which tank I use and the fuel pump according to Autozone is in the fuel tank, am I right in assuming that it's not the fuel pump. Could it be the oxygen sensor? Or could I be off base and it's the alternator or something completely different. Any ideas?
I would look at your idle air control valve. That is what controls your idle setting. It could also be your coolant temperature sensor. It's possible that the truck doesn't know that it's cold and needs to set a higher idle or simply the idle controller is not working correctly.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?