Cold Stalling F150
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1990 Ford F150 V8. I don't drive it a great deal because it is used for DIY projects. Lately, I have been having an issue with it. I used to be able to go out, start it up and just go. Now, I find that I have to pump the gas a few times to get it to even start. Once I get it started, it will run for a few minutes and then stall. I then restart it again and will give it constant gas for a few minutes. It will seem to stay started until I either attempt to put it into gear or after I begin driving. It will then stall again. I go through this until the engine seems to warm up and then I don't seem to have a problem anymore.
In an attempt to fix the problem, I added fuel cleaner to the gas tanks (there are two) and put on a new fuel filter and air filter. None of these seemed to do the trick. Since I have two tanks and it does the same thing regardless of which tank I use and the fuel pump according to Autozone is in the fuel tank, am I right in assuming that it's not the fuel pump. Could it be the oxygen sensor? Or could I be off base and it's the alternator or something completely different. Any ideas?
I would look at your idle air control valve. That is what controls your idle setting. It could also be your coolant temperature sensor. It's possible that the truck doesn't know that it's cold and needs to set a higher idle or simply the idle controller is not working correctly.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?