My Story: Inexpensive Home Security
contributed by Serena
Home Safe Home
Increased Security, Small Expense
Just a few tips about inexpensive home security for a single mother:
- Find the biggest pair of workmen style boots with mud, etc. on them and put them by the front door and get a pair for the back door as well. This looks like a big burly man lives there.
- Get a dog. The dog doesn't have to be expensive to feed. Some will do with only food scraps and a bit of supplementary dry food. We got a big dog that had been abandoned and was fiercely protective of our family. Apparently abandoned dogs really bond with their new trustworthy owners and want to protect them even more from "bad people."
- When you're not at home, leave a radio blaring. It's worth the little extra that you'll spend on electricity as a burglar will think people are home.
- Don't be afraid to network with trustworthy neighbors. They're normally more than happy to help you. Keep their phone numbers handy. Let them know you'd do the same for them. Neighborhood watch can be a powerful thing.
- Teach your girls simple self-defense techniques: poke an attacker in the eye, kick in the groin, and keep their keys threaded through their fingers to use as a weapon if they feel threatened. A simple whistle attached to their school bag can help ward off attackers. It has been found that a whistle is more effective at getting people's attention than a girl screaming. People may think a girl is just fooling around with her friends if she's screaming.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Get a dog and some old muddy boots!
- Read up on more ideas about Increased Security with Small Expense.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- How to build a contemporary outdoor fireplace
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Tips for taking in a renter
- How little things can make your décor pop
- Building a winter green house
- A natural approach to eliminating pet odors
- Cost-effective solutions to rid your home of black snakes
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?