My Story: Inexpensive Home Security
contributed by Serena
Home Safe Home
Increased Security, Small Expense
Just a few tips about inexpensive home security for a single mother:
- Find the biggest pair of workmen style boots with mud, etc. on them and put them by the front door and get a pair for the back door as well. This looks like a big burly man lives there.
- Get a dog. The dog doesn't have to be expensive to feed. Some will do with only food scraps and a bit of supplementary dry food. We got a big dog that had been abandoned and was fiercely protective of our family. Apparently abandoned dogs really bond with their new trustworthy owners and want to protect them even more from "bad people."
- When you're not at home, leave a radio blaring. It's worth the little extra that you'll spend on electricity as a burglar will think people are home.
- Don't be afraid to network with trustworthy neighbors. They're normally more than happy to help you. Keep their phone numbers handy. Let them know you'd do the same for them. Neighborhood watch can be a powerful thing.
- Teach your girls simple self-defense techniques: poke an attacker in the eye, kick in the groin, and keep their keys threaded through their fingers to use as a weapon if they feel threatened. A simple whistle attached to their school bag can help ward off attackers. It has been found that a whistle is more effective at getting people's attention than a girl screaming. People may think a girl is just fooling around with her friends if she's screaming.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Get a dog and some old muddy boots!
- Read up on more ideas about Increased Security with Small Expense.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Downsizing to a smaller house
- How to clean a stone fireplace
- Clear out Christmas clutter
- Romantic bedrooms on a budget
- Cleaning dryer vents
- Helping a packrat get organized
- Convenient floor cleaners
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?