Using creative recycling in frugal home decorating
Thrift Store Home Decorating
by Kathy Wilson
Furniture Buying Tips
Why Buy It New When You Can Buy It Used?
Many of us who are on tight budgets are faced with the dilemma of how to find affordable materials for our home decorating. One would think a thrift store is the last place one would shop if they were trying to create their dream home, but don't overlook the potential of creative recycling. Here are some great ideas for using thrift shop finds for home decorating projects.
You can find old curtains, quilts, sheets and even clothing that can be sewn into home decorating items such as placemats, tableskirts, or pillow covers. Old blankets and comforters can be used as batting when making a quilt or padding a dining chair seat. Pretty sweaters make wonderful throw pillows, and a silk floral dress might cover all four chairs in your dining room. Don't forget to wash all linens first, and then send through a hot dryer to sanitize.
Ugly lampshades can be found in spades at such shops. They can be transformed with some creative paint or decoupage treatments or a fabric cover stitched up to drape over the shade.
Dishes can be found that are pretty enough to hang on the wall, but they are sold for pennies because they are lacking a full set.
Picture frames can be repainted to match your decor. It's really okay to throw out the picture you hate inside.
Interesting containers can be found that make wonderful vases and planters, such as chipped tureens, old cast iron pots, or pretty mismatched teacups.
Use your imagination and find some great bargain finds at bargain basement prices the next time you have a home decorating project in mind!
Kathy Wilson is an author, columnist, and editor of several popular home and garden websites. For hundreds of free home and garden ideas, please visit her now at TheBudgetDecorator.com and TheGardenGlove.com.
Take the Next Step
- Visit a local thrift store this weekend
- Check home and garden product reviews at Cheapism.com before making a purchasing decision.
- 7 Ways to Save at Thrift Stores
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- DIY spider control Video
- A burglar reveals 15 trade secrets
- Cutting back on tree trimming costs
- Ways to save money in your workshop
- How much does it cost to run appliances?
- Cleaning engineered hardwood floors
- Keeping winter utility bills manageable
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?