Broken Alternator Belt
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a question about an alternator belt. It seem that my 1982 GMC Allegro RV keeps going through belts. I drove for 100 miles and then it broke in two. So, I replaced it. I then drove another, maybe, 5 miles and it broke again. Can you tell me why my alternator belt keeps breaking?
My first guess would be improper alignment of the alternator pulley to the rest of the pulleys. Also, make sure that you do not over tension the belt. In addition to premature belt wear, it will cause the bearings inside the alternator to wear out faster.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?