Broken Alternator Belt
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a question about an alternator belt. It seem that my 1982 GMC Allegro RV keeps going through belts. I drove for 100 miles and then it broke in two. So, I replaced it. I then drove another, maybe, 5 miles and it broke again. Can you tell me why my alternator belt keeps breaking?
My first guess would be improper alignment of the alternator pulley to the rest of the pulleys. Also, make sure that you do not over tension the belt. In addition to premature belt wear, it will cause the bearings inside the alternator to wear out faster.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. Compare them now to find the best one for you.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?