Ways to make a little extra money this summer
by Rachel Muller
Your Teens and Money
Put Those Teens to Work
Ways to Earn Extra Cash
Looking to earn a little extra money this summer? Does your teen want to generate some extra money, but doesn't want the commitment of a full-time summer job? Here are a few seasonal money-making ideas:
- Put an ad in the paper or put up some posters in your grocery store advertising your availability as a pet, garden, or house-sitter for people going on vacation. Ask a few friends who can vouch for your trustworthiness to be references.
- Call your local newspaper and offer to fill in as a substitute paper carrier. Newspapers are always looking for temporary carriers in the summer.
- Check with local landscape companies to see if they need temporary help or advertise your own lawn-cutting or yard maintenance services on community bulletin boards.
- In tourist areas, you might be able to run a bed and breakfast from your home in the summer, or find a temporary part-time job at a motel or campground.
- In agricultural areas, you can sign on to help out during the harvest season or at other times when temporary helpers are needed.
Keep your eyes out for the money-making opportunities unique to your community. You're bound to find something that works for you.
Take the Next Step
- Investigate a Dollar Stretcher Recommended system for building your own income producing website.
- Think about what things you like to do that could earn you extra money
- Subscribe to Surviving Tough Times email newsletter. Each week we'll give you practical survival tools for a challenging economy!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- How are relationships affected by money?
- The emotions behind shopping
- Avoiding your parents' debts
- Selling your gold without getting ripped off
- Tips for radical cost cutting
- Video: What are contra-economics?
- Responding to frugal envy
- How to have more money than a lottery winner
- What it takes to borrow against home equity these days
- Financial infidelity: Are you a cheater?
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- How TV affects your credit card spending
- How to create a budget that works for you
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal