Ways to make a little extra money this summer
by Rachel Muller
Your Teens and Money
Put Those Teens to Work
Ways to Earn Extra Cash
Looking to earn a little extra money this summer? Does your teen want to generate some extra money, but doesn't want the commitment of a full-time summer job? Here are a few seasonal money-making ideas:
- Put an ad in the paper or put up some posters in your grocery store advertising your availability as a pet, garden, or house-sitter for people going on vacation. Ask a few friends who can vouch for your trustworthiness to be references.
- Call your local newspaper and offer to fill in as a substitute paper carrier. Newspapers are always looking for temporary carriers in the summer.
- Check with local landscape companies to see if they need temporary help or advertise your own lawn-cutting or yard maintenance services on community bulletin boards.
- In tourist areas, you might be able to run a bed and breakfast from your home in the summer, or find a temporary part-time job at a motel or campground.
- In agricultural areas, you can sign on to help out during the harvest season or at other times when temporary helpers are needed.
Keep your eyes out for the money-making opportunities unique to your community. You're bound to find something that works for you.
Take the Next Step
- Investigate a Dollar Stretcher Recommended system for building your own income producing website.
- Think about what things you like to do that could earn you extra money
- Subscribe to Surviving Tough Times email newsletter. Each week we'll give you practical survival tools for a challenging economy!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 8 ways to beat retail therapy
- The beginner's guide to budgeting success
- My favorite money-saving app
- Can you inherit your parents' debts?
- Should I use automatic bill payments?
- Ways to raise quick cash
- 11 hidden credit card fees you've never heard of
- Tips for boosting your credit score
- How long should you wait for price drops before buying?
- 7 times you can save money by spending money
Negotiating your next raise
Negotiating for a raise requires preparation, practice and flexibility.
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal