How to Make Your Own Kitchen Pot Rack
by Kathy Wilson
Let's face it, we all need more room in our kitchens! One of the easiest ways to free up cabinet space is by hanging a pot rack from the ceiling to store all your bulky pots and pans. Pot racks run upwards of $150 even at the online discount shops! Here is an easy way to make a sturdy pot rack for your kitchen for less than $15.
Non pressure treated 2x4 lumber
3-inch wood screws
Length of chain from the home improvement shop
Paint or stain
Cut two pieces of lumber to your desired pot rack length, and two in your desired width. If you are hanging it over a counter or island, make it slightly smaller than the countertop.
Using your drill, screw the four pieces into a square or rectangle shape. Now measure across the width of the frame from inside to inside. This is the measurement for the cross "beams." Remember, measure twice, cut once! I recommend at least three cross beams for strength. Screw the cross beams in from the side at regular intervals. Add screw hooks to each corner on the top of the rack. Paint or stain as desired.
Finding studs in your ceiling, screw in four heavy duty screw hooks to approximately coordinate with the screw hooks in the top of the pot rack. Add chain, and hang! If there is no counter beneath the pot rack, be sure to hang it high enough to prevent bumped heads! You may add as many screw hooks to the pot rack as desired to store all your pots and pans, and store lids, baskets and bowls on the top. Or, you can simply stack your pots on the top surface, as I do.
Kathy Wilson is a home and garden writer, author and consultant and is the home decorating expert for LifetimeTV.com. Visit her for more home and garden ideas at TheBudgetDecorator.com and TheGardenGlove.com.
Take the Next Step
- Visit our "Frugal Home Decorating and Remodeling" board on Pinterest.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?