The Reluctant Turn Signal
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
The right front turn signal sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work, the blinker inside will flash faster (as if the bulb needs replacing). If I open the housing and fiddle with the bulb and then close the housing, it will usually work for a while. However, within a couple miles of driving down the road, it will stop working again.
I think there's a short in the wire somewhere, but I have no idea how to pinpoint where it is. How does one go about locating a short in the wire (short of taking it out and replacing it with a new wire)? I'd rather take care of this myself as I have yet to find a reliable mechanic in my neighborhood.
I don't think you have a short. Instead, I think you have an open circuit in the line. Since you said that once you "fiddle with it for a while" it will work, if you are keeping your "fiddling" to the turn signal socket, then I think you already narrowed down your problem.
If you go to any major automotive parts store, you will most likely find a turn signal replacement that will fit your car. They usually have them out on the shelf or on a turntable. It is a generic brand (you can get an exact replacement if you wish). Then, simply follow the instructions on the package to replace the old turn signal socket. This usually involves cutting out the wires (about an inch or so from the old socket) and then soldering or crimping on the new socket wires. No matter which method of attachment you decide to do, please make sure that you seal the connection from the elements. You don't want water or moisture to get in there and corrode your fine handy work!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Take the Next Step
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?