10 simple ways to get your home in the holiday spirit in a hurry
Never Too Late to Decorate
by Shaunna Privratsky
Last Minute Holiday Touches on the Cheap
Inexpensive Holiday Centerpieces
Frugal Holiday Decorating Ideas
Oh, no! Company is on the way and you haven't had a chance to decorate. You search frantically for some snowman napkins or some leftover garland, but you come up empty. Before you start flinging Christmas-themed tissues around the room, take a deep breath and read these tips. Don't worry. It is never too late to decorate.
Here are ten simple ways to get your home in the holiday spirit in a hurry. I've also included a bonus tip for each idea if you have a little more time. Most, if not all, can be accomplished with the things you have around your house.
1. Cut a few pine branches from the tree and place in a large vase, an old tin bucket or a big pitcher. Take the lower or hidden branches to avoid bare spots. Place in the center of the table.
Bonus tip: Wrap the container with a cheerful ribbon.
2. Gather five to seven candles, preferably all in the same color for more impact. Red, ivory, white, gold and silver are festive holiday colors. Arrange on a fancy platter or large plate.
Bonus tip: Sprinkle Christmas potpourri or pinecones around the edge of the plate. Another option is a layer of sugar to simulate snow.
3. Fill a large glass vase or clear jar with tiny Christmas balls. Pick a single color or mix and match.
Bonus tip: Place one ball by each plate with a personalized tag. Let them take it home as a parting gift.
4. Take a tall, cylindrical vase and put candy canes all around it. Hook the short end over the edge and let the long side dangle.
Bonus tip: Put about a half pound of sugar into two bowls. Add a few drops of red food coloring to one bowl and stir until the sugar turns red. Now layer the white and red sugar in the vase to form stripes.
5. Place three matching presents in the center of the table. You can use the presents from under the tree, or wrap some empty boxes if you have time.
Bonus tip: Use matching tags as place settings.
6. Take one of your large pictures down and wrap it in fancy paper. Re-hang.
Bonus tip: Put a fancy ribbon over mirrors and doorways.
7. Turn the lights off and eat by candlelight and Christmas lights. For some extra dazzle, take a clear string of lights and wrap it around the centerpiece on the table. Make sure you unplug it when you're finished.
Bonus tip: Replace a few light bulbs in your lamps with colored bulbs. Red lends a cheery glow, while blue or green is very mellow.
8. Scatter a few holiday rugs around. Doorways, the foot of the stairs, in front of the sink, in the guest bedroom and bathrooms are all great places for a cheerful rug.
Bonus tip: Pick up deeply discounted rugs and welcome mats during the after Christmas sales so you'll be ready for next season's festivities.
9. Put out a bowl of pinecones. Spray with non-stick spray, and then sprinkle with sugar. It will look like snow.
Bonus tip: Simmer a small pot of apple juice or two cups of water and a cut up apple on the stove. Add a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. Your home will smell like an apple pie baking.
10. Set up a manger scene in an unexpected place like the dining room table, on the television stand or the coffee table. It will remind you and your guests of the true reason for the season.
Bonus tip: Have the youngest child tell the Christmas story.
The next time you are crunched for time, just try some of these quick ideas. Even when you're in crisis mode, it is never too late to decorate. Hey, isn't that your doorbell?
Shaunna Privratsky became an expert in personal finance out of necessity. Between writing, reading and gardening, she is always on the lookout for bargains. Please sign up for the free newsletters at The Discount Diva. You can also visit Shaunna on Google+.
Take the Next Step:
- Check out our Christmas Countdown Calendar. A 5-week to-do list to help you prepare for Christmas.
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Preparing for a Frugal Holiday Season", "DIY Holiday Gift Ideas" & "Cheap Christmas Ideas" boards today!
- For more Christmas ideas, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Holiday Page
- For all your Holiday shopping, don't forget to use the Ebates Cash Back Site and receive cash back on your purchases.
Discuss "Quick Holiday Cleaning Tips" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?