courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an 88 Aerostar that the heat doesn't work. It did come on once when I had to decelerate suddenly, but I haven't been able to duplicate it since. The air conditioning seemed to work once also, but I don't know if it is coincidental or not.
By no heat do you mean the fan is not blowing or it is just not blowing hot air?
The fan works fine, but for some reason, it just blows out luke warm to cold air. The air conditioning also doesn't seem to come through, but I don't know if it is related or not. I can live without the air conditioning, but here in the Midwest, it would be hard to get by without the heat.
Check to make sure that your coolant level is sufficient. If the coolant is too low, the first thing you lose is cabin heat. Secondly, make sure your thermostat is operating. It may have failed open (failsafe), which will save the engine but not give you any heat. Those are the easy things to check. The next would be in your climate controls. On some cars, there is a heater bypass valve that bypasses the heater core when you are operating the air conditioning. That may be shut, closed, partially blocked or the like. On some cars, this valve is called the heat selector. Additionally, your heater core may be plugged or scaled up reducing its efficiency.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Downsizing to a smaller house
- How to clean a stone fireplace
- Clear out Christmas clutter
- Romantic bedrooms on a budget
- Cleaning dryer vents
- Helping a packrat get organized
- Convenient floor cleaners
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?