courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an 88 Aerostar that the heat doesn't work. It did come on once when I had to decelerate suddenly, but I haven't been able to duplicate it since. The air conditioning seemed to work once also, but I don't know if it is coincidental or not.
By no heat do you mean the fan is not blowing or it is just not blowing hot air?
The fan works fine, but for some reason, it just blows out luke warm to cold air. The air conditioning also doesn't seem to come through, but I don't know if it is related or not. I can live without the air conditioning, but here in the Midwest, it would be hard to get by without the heat.
Check to make sure that your coolant level is sufficient. If the coolant is too low, the first thing you lose is cabin heat. Secondly, make sure your thermostat is operating. It may have failed open (failsafe), which will save the engine but not give you any heat. Those are the easy things to check. The next would be in your climate controls. On some cars, there is a heater bypass valve that bypasses the heater core when you are operating the air conditioning. That may be shut, closed, partially blocked or the like. On some cars, this valve is called the heat selector. Additionally, your heater core may be plugged or scaled up reducing its efficiency.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?