Cheap Bathroom Fix Ups for Any Family
by Kathy Wilson
Inexpensive Bathroom Makeover
Great Remodeling Ideas
The family bathroom is one of the hardest working rooms in our home, but that doesn't mean it can't be attractive. Here are some inexpensive and easy fix ups for any family bath.
Paint those walls. Paint is cheap, and a deep, rich or bright color will be appreciated more in the small space. It will help those ever closing in walls to fade away, and a deeper color shows far fewer dirty handprints. Keep the whole room in the same color family as the walls for a space expanding effect.
Make a large and easily laundered floor rug for the bath by bordering a bath towel with scrap fabric with your sewing machine. Use a non-slip pad under the rug. It can be hung over the shower rod to dry and tossed in the washer whenever needed, without wearing out the latex backing.
Add a similar border with the same fabric to the bottom edges of your hand towels to add color and to pull the room together. The more together the room looks, the less effect morning chaos will have on your bath. If you have a fabric shower curtain, add it here as well.
Install a shelving unit over the toilet, but go one step farther in giving each family member a plastic bin or bucket from the dollar shop to organize their personals. Make all the bins match to cut down on the clutter look many baths have. Write their names on in permanent marker or paint pen.
Assign everyone a bath towel, and write their names on the hem. Attach self-stick hooks to the back of their bedroom door, where they can hang it each day to dry. The towels in the bathroom itself will be hand towels. This will eliminate (hopefully) the 16 dirty towels on the floor of the bath, and save you time and money doing laundry.
Finally, consider investing in a detachable hand held showerhead for the bath. These are ever so convenient when washing the tub, the dog, or a little ones hair, and the massage feature is great on your back. A good quality one is a great investment for the whole family.
A little time, a few bucks and a little organization can go a long way into turning the hardest working room in the home to a bit more of a space to take care of your loved ones.
Kathy Wilson is an author, columnist, and editor of several popular home and garden websites. For hundreds of free do-it-yourself home and garden ideas, please visit her websites now at TheBudgetDecorator.com, DecoratingYourSmallSpace.com and TheGardenGlove.com.
Take the Next Step
- Consider painting. Here are some Painting Tips, Tricks and Resources.
- Consider these Bathroom Organization Tips and Ideas from ShowMomTheMoney.com.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?