My Story: Just Start
contributed by Kim
My Story: Small Start, Big Finish
6 Squirrely Ways to Save
I've read about living below your means for many years and want to share my story. At age 24, I had finished school, had a fair amount of debt, no savings, no house and a nice big new car payment. Faced with the decision to participate in a retirement account at my new job, I met with one of the investment company representatives. This person advised me to start saving, even if it wasn't with his company. Just start. I did start, but ironically not with his company.
A few days later, I read an article about living below your means. If you could afford to pay $1000 per month in rent or mortgage, find something for $700 or get a roommate to split payments. If you could afford $100 per month in entertainment, skip a month or so or only spend $25 and put the rest towards debt. Well, I "just started" to pay down my debt and live below my means. I got a second job to increase my means and still live well below. I started to save for retirement, and all the while, I had as much fun as I could, so I never feel like I'm missing out on anything. I just work hard and try to make decisions on what is important to me.
I found that after a few years, things start to snowball in a good way. Debt starts to get paid off. You learn more about finance. Your savings starts to give you a smile of contentment. All this motivated me to keep it up.
Now I'm 36 years old and married with two young kids. I work one job, working three long days, which gives me four days per week to spend with my kids and husband. We still live below our means, but the more we do it the easier it becomes. Since we live below our means, we have paid off both of our cars, pay our credit card balance in full each month, and are planning to pay off our five-bedroom house within the next six years. We take nice vacations several times per year, go to the movies and go out to eat. We could probably go out two to three times per week and still be able to afford it, but we choose to do it every couple weeks. The longer we've been doing this, the less we have to think about it. That's where the real freedom comes in! And that first retirement account that I started when I was 24, well, I still contribute to it. It's had its ups and downs, but I'm sure glad that I "just started" when I did. It's a pretty good lump of money that I've never missed.
So my tip is to "just start." I can't say it's easy, especially the first few years, but the years are going to go by regardless, and for your sacrifices now, the returns are by far well worth every sacrifice!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Are you getting the best CD rate? Use our simple CD tool to find out. It's completely private, easy to use and you'll know what rate is available to you in seconds!
- Get the interest your deserve! Compare money market rates with our best rate finder. It only takes a minute and your privacy is completely protected.
- "Just start" saving for retirement! It's never too early.
- Join those who 'live better...for less' - Subscribe to The Dollar Stretcher newsletter, a weekly look at how to stretch both your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- How to become a millionaire in 7 easy (hah!) steps
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- 10 places to look for $500 in savings
- 9 savvy strategies to save for a rainy-day fund
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 6 ways to get help paying your medical bills
- Getting personal finances in order one day at a time
- Can't find a job? Be your own boss!
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates