by Marlene Alexander
For animal lovers, there's nothing more exciting than bringing home a new dog or cat. Unfortunately, pet ownership isn't all belly rubs and purrs. Buying litter boxes, licenses and food, not to mention paying vet bills, can cause expenses to multiply faster than a pair of rascally rabbits. That's why it pays to check out the dollar store for all of your pet's small necessities.
These handsome metal bowls could be used to serve up dinner for a cat or a small dog. The plastic mat to sit them on has an embossed paw print design on it. Dollar stores also carry collars and leashes in varying sizes. Shown is a belled collar for a cat. People are often surprised to learn that some brand name products, like these Purina cat treats, are available at dollar stores. Another necessity for the cat owner is a sturdy litter scoop. Why pay more than a buck? The total cost of all these pet supplies is $6.
This fleece blanket is generously sized at 40" x 30". Let's face it; dogs and cats are happy with a clean old towel to sleep on but, when you can buy a pet blanket for a dollar, there's no need to justify your desire to pamper your four-legged friend and make yourself feel all warm and fuzzy in the process.
Marlene Alexander is a writer living in Ontario, Canada. For more on dollar store shopping, visit her website at www.dollarstorestyle.com.
Take the Next Step
- Check your local dollar store for these items to keep your pets happy and wallets full!
- Save on your pet's medications at 1-800-PetMeds
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Using coupons at The Dollar Tree
- Talking to aging parents about finances Expert Interview
- Baby toys you can make
- How to reduce the cost of lunchmeat
- 5 tips for working at home with kids
- 6 ways to control your back-to-school spending
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in July
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- 5 ideas for a kid-free mom cave
- In your 30s with kids? You need life insurance
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator