by Marlene Alexander
For animal lovers, there's nothing more exciting than bringing home a new dog or cat. Unfortunately, pet ownership isn't all belly rubs and purrs. Buying litter boxes, licenses and food, not to mention paying vet bills, can cause expenses to multiply faster than a pair of rascally rabbits. That's why it pays to check out the dollar store for all of your pet's small necessities.
These handsome metal bowls could be used to serve up dinner for a cat or a small dog. The plastic mat to sit them on has an embossed paw print design on it. Dollar stores also carry collars and leashes in varying sizes. Shown is a belled collar for a cat. People are often surprised to learn that some brand name products, like these Purina cat treats, are available at dollar stores. Another necessity for the cat owner is a sturdy litter scoop. Why pay more than a buck? The total cost of all these pet supplies is $6.
This fleece blanket is generously sized at 40" x 30". Let's face it; dogs and cats are happy with a clean old towel to sleep on but, when you can buy a pet blanket for a dollar, there's no need to justify your desire to pamper your four-legged friend and make yourself feel all warm and fuzzy in the process.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Marlene Alexander is a writer living in Ontario, Canada. For more on dollar store shopping, visit her website at www.dollarstorestyle.com.
Take the Next Step
- Check your local dollar store for these items to keep your pets happy and wallets full!
- Save on your pet's medications at 1-800-PetMeds
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 11 best bargains at the checkout counter in May
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Improve your sleep for less
- How to get through prom season with the budget intact
- Planning a family reunion on a shoestring
- Tween girl's birthday party ideas Readers' Solutions