How to Easily Organize Your Bills
by Joey Shanley
An Organized Life
This is for those perpetually disorganized. You know who you are. You are always late in paying bills, but not necessarily for lack of money. Instead, you are late simply because you've failed to develop a successful system of paying bills that works. Most of us are inundated with junk mail every day. It's this abundant arrival of paper on a regular basis that makes the process of going through mail a bit daunting. Here are some easy-to-follow steps that will not only help you to pay your bills on time, but will also help you de-clutter your life.
- Change your behavior. Instead of dropping your mail on a table with your keys as you walk into your house, sort through your mail near your shredder and your recycle bin. Make three piles:
- a keep pile (bills, letters, magazines, etc.)
- a recycle pile (circulars, ads, and generic mail addressed to "occupant")
- a shred pile (credit card offers or other advertising that has your address/personal information on it). Shred this pile immediately. (In less than five minutes, you've de-cluttered a small part of your life.)
Your system for organizing your bills may be a more streamlined version of this. However, if you are always fretting about late fees and if you are always remembering that your phone bill was due yesterday, then perhaps now is a good time to invest in an organizational strategy regarding your bills.
J. Richard Shanley writes "Molly's Brother On A Budget," an online journal devoted to helping him, and others, get spending under control.
Take the Next Step
- Make the time to save money. Separate your mail, make a file system, and open those bills.
- Consider on-line bill pay. Talk to your bank provider today.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Debt from my past is preventing me from saving for my future! Tell us: Yes, debt is hindering my ability to save and I could use help dealing with it! or No, debt is not a problem but I am trying to get ahead financially!
More Money Tips & Tools
- 5 low-risk ways to earn higher interest now
- 10 easy ways to save money for the holidays
- 7 IRA withdrawals that don't trigger a penalty
- 4 secrets to maximize your credit card rewards
- Don't toss your financial resolutions just yet!
- How and why to put your legal and financial affairs on autopilot
- 18 ways money slips through your fingers
- This week's Readers' Tips