How to Easily Organize Your Bills
by Joey Shanley
An Organized Life
This is for those perpetually disorganized. You know who you are. You are always late in paying bills, but not necessarily for lack of money. Instead, you are late simply because you've failed to develop a successful system of paying bills that works. Most of us are inundated with junk mail every day. It's this abundant arrival of paper on a regular basis that makes the process of going through mail a bit daunting. Here are some easy-to-follow steps that will not only help you to pay your bills on time, but will also help you de-clutter your life.
- Change your behavior. Instead of dropping your mail on a table with your keys as you walk into your house, sort through your mail near your shredder and your recycle bin. Make three piles:
- a keep pile (bills, letters, magazines, etc.)
- a recycle pile (circulars, ads, and generic mail addressed to "occupant")
- a shred pile (credit card offers or other advertising that has your address/personal information on it). Shred this pile immediately. (In less than five minutes, you've de-cluttered a small part of your life.)
Your system for organizing your bills may be a more streamlined version of this. However, if you are always fretting about late fees and if you are always remembering that your phone bill was due yesterday, then perhaps now is a good time to invest in an organizational strategy regarding your bills.
J. Richard Shanley writes "Molly's Brother On A Budget," an online journal devoted to helping him, and others, get spending under control.
Take the Next Step
- Make the time to save money. Separate your mail, make a file system, and open those bills.
- Consider on-line bill pay. Talk to your bank provider today.
Discuss "Keeping Track of Bills" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 5 features to look for in a balance transfer card
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- A widow's guide to managing money on your own
- Bank loyalty rewards you might be missing out on
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Do you pay more because of variable pricing?
- Are you stealing your own money?
- Spending to deal with stress?
- How to live like a millionaire Video
- How to stop abusive debt collection practices
- Credit card debt after the death of a spouse
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates