Engine Warm Up
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Prepare Your Car for Winter Driving
A Winter Emergency Kit
If I want to warm my car up faster, will it help if I rev my engine? Do I have to rev my engine in drive or will neutral work also?
In modern vehicles, you do not need excessive warm up time. The minimum that the manufacturers recommend is 30 seconds. Simply enough time to get the oil flowing throughout the engine. If you wanted to wait any longer, you could wait for the car to drop out of fast idle. That is usually an indication that the engine is warm enough for proper operation. Manually increasing the idle above the already fast idle is not recommended.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?