My Story: Valentine's Day
contributed by Lisa
Celebrating Valentine's Day
Frugal Valentine's Day Ideas
Are you a disaster in the kitchen? A little short on the creative side? Have no time? Here are some quick, inexpensive Valentine surprises you can give your sweetie, all under 10 minutes and $10! If you're not much of a crafter, writer, cook or baker, here are some simple easy gestures that take little time and money but will be much appreciated.
- Surprise your lover at work or school with coffee and a cookie or muffin.
- Spread fake rose petals on the bed and light some candles. Use linen spray on the sheets. Atmosphere is everything! You can whip up your own linen spray by using a little vodka/water combo and some fragrance you buy at the dollar store. Mix 1/2 cup vodka, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp. fragrance.
- Draw a bath for your special person with bubble bath you bought for them, light a few candles and bring them a cup of tea. Maybe you want to sponge them clean.
- Text message their cellphone or send them a sweet e-mail every hour for a few hours.
- Get a mug from the Salvation Army with hearts on it and fill a red velvet bag with raspberry chocolate coffee beans or other appropriate flavoured coffee. You can stick a few heart shaped lollypops in there as it is a good sweetener for coffee!
- Buy a rose plant or another type of plant. I had a friend who once bought a heart shaped small vase and planted a small rose plant in it (lasts so much longer than flowers!). It looked really cool and I think he spent $4 for everything.
- Try a body sundae in a box. This is a fun gift if you have a very playful lover! In a small box bought from the dollar store, put in cinnamon hearts, chocolate sprinkles, one tea light, canned whipped cream, and chocolate sauce (all this can be bought at a dollar store). Label it something like "A body sundae for you, because you are so sweet." Use your imagination on the title and with the body sundae.
Have a lovely, frugal Valentine's!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it to MyStory@Stretcher.com
Take the Next Step:
- Try one or more of these great ideas or come up with one of your own.
- For more Valentine's Day ideas, visit The Dollar Stretcher Library
- Consider our readers suggestions on how to ask your special someone to Be My Valentine.
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Love Your Honey for Less Money" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- What's on sale in November
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Kids' activities for Thanksgiving gatherings
- 5 ways to reduce the cost of kids' clothing
- What's the best way to bring a puppy into your family?
- 13 things to teach your children that will make their financial lives easier
- How a single mom can create multiple income streams
- Instead of toys for Christmas
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator