My Story: Valentine's Day
contributed by Lisa
Celebrating Valentine's Day
Frugal Valentine's Day Ideas
Are you a disaster in the kitchen? A little short on the creative side? Have no time? Here are some quick, inexpensive Valentine surprises you can give your sweetie, all under 10 minutes and $10! If you're not much of a crafter, writer, cook or baker, here are some simple easy gestures that take little time and money but will be much appreciated.
- Surprise your lover at work or school with coffee and a cookie or muffin.
- Spread fake rose petals on the bed and light some candles. Use linen spray on the sheets. Atmosphere is everything! You can whip up your own linen spray by using a little vodka/water combo and some fragrance you buy at the dollar store. Mix 1/2 cup vodka, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp. fragrance.
- Draw a bath for your special person with bubble bath you bought for them, light a few candles and bring them a cup of tea. Maybe you want to sponge them clean.
- Text message their cellphone or send them a sweet e-mail every hour for a few hours.
- Get a mug from the Salvation Army with hearts on it and fill a red velvet bag with raspberry chocolate coffee beans or other appropriate flavoured coffee. You can stick a few heart shaped lollypops in there as it is a good sweetener for coffee!
- Buy a rose plant or another type of plant. I had a friend who once bought a heart shaped small vase and planted a small rose plant in it (lasts so much longer than flowers!). It looked really cool and I think he spent $4 for everything.
- Try a body sundae in a box. This is a fun gift if you have a very playful lover! In a small box bought from the dollar store, put in cinnamon hearts, chocolate sprinkles, one tea light, canned whipped cream, and chocolate sauce (all this can be bought at a dollar store). Label it something like "A body sundae for you, because you are so sweet." Use your imagination on the title and with the body sundae.
Have a lovely, frugal Valentine's!
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it to MyStory@Stretcher.com
Take the Next Step:
- Try one or more of these great ideas or come up with one of your own.
- For more Valentine's Day ideas, visit The Dollar Stretcher Library
- Consider our readers suggestions on how to ask your special someone to Be My Valentine.
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Love Your Honey for Less Money" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 11 best bargains at the checkout counter in May
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Sharing a house with another family
- Buying the best backpack for your back and your budget
- 5 fun recipes to keep the kids busy this summer
- What's it like selling Avon products?