Frugal baby shower decorations
Let's Party, Baby!
by Marlene Alexander
Baby Shower Gifts
Baby Shower Hosting Ideas
My Story: The Frugal Baby Shower
Is there anything more joyous than the arrival of a new baby? Recently, one of our readers asked us for some ideas on decorating for a baby shower. As it happens, we hosted a baby shower earlier this year and there's nothing like having to do it yourself to get you thinking about the possibilities. Here are a few of the ideas we came up with.
If you have any of your children's old baby clothes or receiving blankets, try stringing a dollar store clothesline along one wall and hanging these items on it. You could also use doll clothes.
Here are a couple of the items we found at my favorite dollar store that were used as table decorations. (We just love the baby bottle candles!) We also floated some rubber duckies in a small tub of water. You could use other dollar store toys or some of your kids' old baby toys, as well. Just sit a few around the room on the tables. Rubber ducks generally come in a package of two or three for a dollar, depending on the size, and the candles and rocking horse frame were a dollar each.
For the food table, we used these small gift bags with colored tissue for a centerpiece. The middle bag contains a weight to anchor a helium baby shower balloon. A large package of three-colored pastel tissue paper is a dollar and small gift bags are two for a dollar.
Your guests will be delighted with these shower gel-filled and soap animal party favors with an attached tag that reads "From our shower to yours." (Not our own invention.) The shower gels came in a package of two for a dollar. The soap imbedded animals were a dollar each.
As prizes for shower games, pick up some fancy candles, small bath sets and/or sweets for a dollar each and check out the good quality teethers, rattles, baby bottles and bibs as additional gifts for the new baby. Party on!
Marlene Alexander is a writer living in Ontario, Canada. For more on dollar store shopping, visit her website at DollarStoreStyle.com.
Take the Next Step
- Take a trip to your local dollar store and get decorating.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Tools for reaching your goals Slideshow
- 4 ways to profit from a gift card you don't want
- Natural flea prevention
- Don't overspend on your wedding
- 8 ways to scam-proof your next vacation home rental
- Tips for profitable yard sale presentation
- Rent a garden plot
- Using lemons for your health and cleaning
- Garage Sales 101
- Taking professional quality photos with your cellphone
- Savings for singles
- 10 easy ways to get organized
- What's on sale in March
- 5 types of freebies you can snag today
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in March
- 5 dental scams that can put the bite on you
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 5 cheap -- or even free -- ways to exercise