Frugal baby shower decorations
Let's Party, Baby!
by Marlene Alexander
Baby Shower Gifts
Baby Shower Hosting Ideas
My Story: The Frugal Baby Shower
Is there anything more joyous than the arrival of a new baby? Recently, one of our readers asked us for some ideas on decorating for a baby shower. As it happens, we hosted a baby shower earlier this year and there's nothing like having to do it yourself to get you thinking about the possibilities. Here are a few of the ideas we came up with.
If you have any of your children's old baby clothes or receiving blankets, try stringing a dollar store clothesline along one wall and hanging these items on it. You could also use doll clothes.
Here are a couple of the items we found at my favorite dollar store that were used as table decorations. (We just love the baby bottle candles!) We also floated some rubber duckies in a small tub of water. You could use other dollar store toys or some of your kids' old baby toys, as well. Just sit a few around the room on the tables. Rubber ducks generally come in a package of two or three for a dollar, depending on the size, and the candles and rocking horse frame were a dollar each.
For the food table, we used these small gift bags with colored tissue for a centerpiece. The middle bag contains a weight to anchor a helium baby shower balloon. A large package of three-colored pastel tissue paper is a dollar and small gift bags are two for a dollar.
Your guests will be delighted with these shower gel-filled and soap animal party favors with an attached tag that reads "From our shower to yours." (Not our own invention.) The shower gels came in a package of two for a dollar. The soap imbedded animals were a dollar each.
As prizes for shower games, pick up some fancy candles, small bath sets and/or sweets for a dollar each and check out the good quality teethers, rattles, baby bottles and bibs as additional gifts for the new baby. Party on!
Marlene Alexander is a writer living in Ontario, Canada. For more on dollar store shopping, visit her website at DollarStoreStyle.com.
Take the Next Step
- Take a trip to your local dollar store and get decorating.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 7 ways to travel the world for free
- How to find cheap airfares
- Save money and stay healthy with a vegetarian diet
- 12 ways you can help others without spending money
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- Learning to be self-sufficient
- How to quit your day job for your dream job
- How to build a wardrobe on any budget
- Top 10 best (and real) work-at-home jobs and careers
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 6 reasons why it's dumb to buy a smartphone
- How to live a life of luxury without going broke