Organized Leftover Containers
by Monica Resinger
It was time to organize my leftover containers that are kept in a kitchen cupboard on a slide out shelf. I didn't realize how long it had been since the last time I did this until I got to the bottom of the shelf and found things I'm ashamed to tell. I will tell you that there were containers I had forgotten I had because they were buried so deep.
How could this be useful? Really, the only use it had was to barely store my leftover containers; "barely" meaning each time I'd open the door, something would fall out. I had to ask myself, "Why would I need 250 containers?" I'm just joking. It wasn't that much, but it was too much. Here's how I got this cupboard in shape in four easy steps:
- I took everything out of the cupboard. This is a cupboard close to the floor so I sat on the floor and took them out and set them around me on the (clean) floor. When the shelf was cleared out, I vacuumed it and wiped it off.
- From the lids and containers on the floor, anything I didn't use or want anymore either went into the trash or into a bag to be donated to the Goodwill depending on if it was still useful or not.
- With what was left, I matched containers with lids. Each container I found that still had a lid (don't ask me where the others went!), I'd set back into the cupboard and each lid went into a square plastic organizer to hold them; this way the lids would still be in with the containers, but not all scattered around. I stacked the containers according to their size and shape.
- I threw away the remaining disposable lids and containers (yogurt, sour cream, margarine, etc.) that didn't have a match and donated any good, no match lids or containers to Goodwill; I'm sure they'll find a match for them.
Complete in four easy steps! Now when I open that cupboard, the containers don't come falling out and I can easily find the container I need. It is a great feeling to have them organized (for a change).
Monica Resinger is a loving wife and doting mother of two who enjoys gardening, painting, dancing and homemaking.
You can check out some of her other articles at http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Monica_Resinger
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?