Leaky Auto Air Conditioning
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '96 Camaro that won't blow cold air. About a month ago, I had a repair shop check it for leaks with dye and they found none. They said that my Freon was a little low, so they added to it at the time. About three weeks later, I noticed it would take my a/c a little longer than normal to start blowing cold air. It did this a few times and then it just stopped blowing cold air completely. I returned to the shop and they told me my compressor was leaking Freon and recommended I have it changed. I followed their advice and did so. Now, a week later, I noticed the same problem happening again. The a/c took longer and longer to cool and finally stopped cooling. After all of this, I don't feel that the shop gave me accurate information about my problem, and because of it, I am out several hundred dollars. I'm hesitant to go back to the same shop because of this and I feel the compressor was not the problem to begin with. I find it rather hard to believe the new compressor would have the same problem as the old one. What could be causing my A/C not to blow cold air?
It sounds like there is a leak. To be quite honest, I think the shop did a shoddy job. They should have found the leak the first time. There are rules against filling an a/c that you know has a leak in it. I bet that the leak is in the evaporator coil as that is not easily seen because it has a lot of plastic covers over it. However, the ultraviolet light should have picked it up. I would take it to a different shop but try to find someone that has a better reputation.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- DIY spider control Video
- A burglar reveals 15 trade secrets
- Cutting back on tree trimming costs
- Ways to save money in your workshop
- How much does it cost to run appliances?
- Cleaning engineered hardwood floors
- Keeping winter utility bills manageable
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?