Leaky Auto Air Conditioning
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '96 Camaro that won't blow cold air. About a month ago, I had a repair shop check it for leaks with dye and they found none. They said that my Freon was a little low, so they added to it at the time. About three weeks later, I noticed it would take my a/c a little longer than normal to start blowing cold air. It did this a few times and then it just stopped blowing cold air completely. I returned to the shop and they told me my compressor was leaking Freon and recommended I have it changed. I followed their advice and did so. Now, a week later, I noticed the same problem happening again. The a/c took longer and longer to cool and finally stopped cooling. After all of this, I don't feel that the shop gave me accurate information about my problem, and because of it, I am out several hundred dollars. I'm hesitant to go back to the same shop because of this and I feel the compressor was not the problem to begin with. I find it rather hard to believe the new compressor would have the same problem as the old one. What could be causing my A/C not to blow cold air?
It sounds like there is a leak. To be quite honest, I think the shop did a shoddy job. They should have found the leak the first time. There are rules against filling an a/c that you know has a leak in it. I bet that the leak is in the evaporator coil as that is not easily seen because it has a lot of plastic covers over it. However, the ultraviolet light should have picked it up. I would take it to a different shop but try to find someone that has a better reputation.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?