My Story: Avoiding Take-Out Meals
contributed by DG
Homemade Convenience Food
All-Day Slow Cooker Recipes
The Cost of Convenience
We don't eat out much. First of all, it doesn't save time to tie up the whole family while driving to a restaurant, waiting for service, waiting for the bill, and driving home. But that consideration doesn't often convince us. Instead, I looked at our vulnerable times for eating out and worked to overcome those temptations. When are our vulnerable times?
- after church
- when we're headed into town (an hour's drive away)
- when I'm tired or sick
- on busy days
To curb the temptation after church, I plan quick meals before leaving for church. For example, I make sure that I have lunchmeat or leftovers on hand. Another great option is to start the slow cooker first thing in the morning!
When we're headed into town, which is an hour's drive away, we pack a picnic, pack snacks, or get snacks while shopping to munch on in the car on the way home.
When I'm tired or sick, a few freezer meals are a lifesaver. I had a sinus infection this past spring and there were several days when I just dumped a freezer meal into a casserole dish and popped it in the oven. Even commercial frozen dinners are good to have on hand for days like this.
On busy days, plan to have a slow cooker meal. This is great for the nights when the kids have to be picked up at 5 p.m. and then have to be at Scouts at 6:30 p.m.
Now, our eating out is planned. I like it better that way and so does my checkbook!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Visit our Pinterest board for more Recipes to Save Time and Money.
- The slow cooker is a great way to get dinner on the table on the busiest of days. Find some great frugal slow cooker recipes in the TDS recipe section.
- Check out our coupon page and save money on your favorite products.
- For all things "Groceries & Food," please visit the TDS library section.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also In This Week's Issue
- Finding great gift cards this season
- 5 creative ways to wrap gift cards
- Frugal winter vacation destinations to beat the cold
- 5 celebrity scholarships you can use for college
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free household tips in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free twice weekly newsletter Dollar Stretcher Tips.