Is Engine Warm Up Necessary?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My boyfriend says that it's not necessary to warm up engines on newer car models. I drive a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS with approximately 100,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, he's not an expert, and I need your expert advice if it is necessary to warm up my car and for how long.
When it comes to engine warm up, the warm up period is not like it used to be years ago. However, you should not just turn the key and zoom away. You should give a little bit of time for the oil to get to the top of the engine. Then, you can drive away. However, you should not try to accelerate to maximum capability or drive under heavy loads until the engine has come up to full operating temperature. When starting a newer car, it will normally start to a higher RPM. Once the RPM settles to normal level (within 60 seconds or less), the car is good to drive under normal conditions.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?