Arranging bookshelves to look like a stylish detail in your home
How to Arrange Bookshelves
by Kathy Wilson
Making Cheap Shelving More Attractive
Get the Pottery Barn Look for Less
Arranging bookshelves to look like a stylish detail in your home instead of a stuffy library takes a little insight and practice. But it's a valuable skill for home decorators, as almost all homes have shelving of some kind that can benefit from a few design principles to keep from getting the stiff soldier look. (Or worse, the stuff every loose thing into the messy shelves look!) Here are a few quick guidelines that, with some practice, can transform those cluttered shelves into warm design details!
- Mix things up. Have some of your books vertical and some in a horizontal stack. This one trick alone can add a professional touch to your display.
- Leave some room between displays of books or other items. Small amounts of space give the eye room to breathe, and allow the beauty of your books and collectibles to shine. If you have too many books or display objects, rotate them out every season to get a fresh look, or buy another bookcase.
- Introduce items other than books. Adding candles, collectibles, or even a plant or two adds life to your display, and the contrast in shape and texture adds interest.
- Allow your display items to form a sort of zigzag down the shelves. In other words, don't allow the items to line up from shelf to shelf. This allows the display items to lead the eye in a pleasing manner and not look stiff.
- Consider softening your shelves with a few pieces of fabric or lace.
- Don't be afraid to move things. Remember what I said about practice? The only way to get it is to change things around, try new ideas, and to keep moving things until you find an arrangement you like.
Got shelf? Take 15 minutes right now, bring in a few well loved display items, clear off the shelves and start again with the guidelines I've taught you. Attractive shelf displays bring balance to any room. Give it a try. You could always put back the mess if you don't like it. (But why would you?)
Kathy Wilson is a home and garden writer, author and consultant and is the home decorating expert for LifetimeTV.com. Visit her for more home and garden ideas at TheBudgetDecorator.com and TheGardenGlove.com.
Take the Next Step
- If you're serious about getting organized visit The Dollar Stretcher Pinterest "Organization Tips to Save Time and Money" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Prices keep rising while my income remains stagnant and I worry I am heading for debt trouble. Tell us: Yes, I think I am heading for debt trouble and could use some help! or No, I am not in debt trouble but I am always looking for new ways to help keep my budget on track!
More Money-Saving Lifestyle Tips
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 4 secrets to being a frugal foodie
- Why you might want to become a housesitter
- How to be a vegetarian or vegan on a budget
- Be stylish for less using online clothing resale shops
- This week's Readers' Tips