Using Overdrive at Low Speeds
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I know that overdrive was designed to save gas at highway speed, but what about low speed? My grandfather never takes the car out of OD. To me, that is like driving a 5 speed manual in fifth gear all the time, which would use more gas at take off and put more of a strain on the engine. The transmission bangs and clanks and surges when he speeds up from a dead stop or from a low speed (less than 40). And when I drive the same car in the correct gear (drive in an automatic transmission) for the speed I'm traveling at, there is nothing wrong with the transmission. Please help us settle this once and for all.
Putting the vehicle in overdrive is the same as putting it into drive. The automatic transmission selects when the appropriate time is to select over drive mode. If his vehicle behaves differently at lower speeds with the transmission in overdrive than in drive, then there most likely is a fault in the transmission.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?