No Fuel on Start-Up
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Auto Repairs for Less
Selecting an Auto Repair Shop
I have a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. It started this at 8K and just gets worse. It refuses to start cold in the morning until I have pumped and pumped. It looses its prime overnight and all the gas seems to drain back into the tank. Now it sometimes does it in the day after it has been driven also. What can I do?
Well, pumping the gas pedal does absolutely nothing on modern cars. There are no mechanical accelerator pumps on cars any more. In fact, it could lead to catastrophic results. By pressing on the gas pedal like that, the computer is seeing a rapid change in throttle angle. The computer interprets that to be an acceleration and will make the fuel injectors squirt more fuel. What you should do in the morning is turn the key on, wait for the dash board to initialize (will take about five seconds). Then turn the key off and repeat. Do this two or three times. This will ensure that the fuel rail is primed.
If that is what you thought the problem might have been, then this will get it going. As for how to fix losing prime, well, the system is either draining back through the fuel pump or through the pressure regulator. The pressure regulator is easier to get to on most cars (the fuel pump is usually located inside the fuel tank).
However, with only 15k miles, the car should still be under manufacturer warranty and they should fix it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?