What is Missing in Your Home Decorating?
by Kathy Wilson, The Budget Decorator
10 Top Home Decorating Buys Under $10
Finishing Touches for Less
Budget Home Decorating
Most of us have that one room that just seems to be missing something in the home decorating department, and we can't quite seem to put our finger on it. Usually, it's a simple matter of recognizing three basic things each room needs in order to feel "right." Luckily, they can all be achieved without a lot of cash and in a short amount of time!
First, make sure your room has a focal point. This is easier in rooms that have a natural focal point such as a fireplace or a dramatic window view. But, it's not so easy in other rooms. One easy way to create a focal point is to paint a focal wall. Tape off the center third of the wall first seen as you enter the room. Paint the center section a darker or richer version of the color on the rest of the walls. Now create a wall arrangement within that center third. The color of the wall will set it off and immediately give importance to the wall arrangement, whether it is a pretty landscape painting or a collection of your favorite antique plates. This is easy, and it makes a huge difference in a short amount of time.
Second, make sure you pay attention to balance and scale over the whole room and also within small vignettes. Balance means visually. You don't want the room to seem off kilter. If all your tall or dark colored furniture is on one side of the room, the room will seem like it's too heavy on one side. You want pattern and color in the room evenly distributed, and you don't want teeny tiny furniture trying to fill a family room the size of a football field. Likewise is true with smaller vignettes, such as wall arrangements or tabletops. One of the most common decorating mistakes I see is when someone places a tiny framed photo all alone on a big wall. The piece should fit the space, or should be grouped with objects that, as a whole, fit the space. So look for balance and scale in the room. Making small changes can go a long way toward making the room feel more comfortable.
Finally, make sure your room displays accessories that speak of who you and your family are. Remember, accessories are better displayed in groups of three or five and have some contrast in height and shape for interest. Include framed photos of your loved ones, your Grandmother's candlesticks, or that shell collection in a pretty jar your kids collected on your last family vacation. A room that has no loved ones is not a loved room! It is these accessories that transform a room from just a room to your special space, so don't underestimate their importance.
Kathy Wilson is a home and garden writer, author and consultant and is the home decorating expert for LifetimeTV.com. Visit her for more home and garden ideas at TheBudgetDecorator.com and TheGardenGlove.com.
Take the Next Step:
- Take a look at each room in your home. Does it feel "right"? If not, you may have forgotten one of the above three things. Take action today to correct because, fortunately, they can all be achieved with little cash and little time.
Discuss "Dollar Store Focal Pieces" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?