My Story: 10 Kitchen Tips
contributed by Julie
Reducing Food Waste
Getting the Most Out of Our Daily Bread
14 Frugal Food-Rescuing Tips from Grandma
- Prepackaged and deli lunchmeats and cheeses will last longer if you put them separately in resealable bags, releasing as much air as possible before closing. Then put in an airtight container stored in the fridge.
- Extend the life of celery by cutting off the bottom and standing the stalks upright in a tall glass or pitcher filled with about a cup of water. Keep adding water as needed.
- Tomatoes last longer if you put them in a brown paper lunch bag and store them in the refrigerator's crisper.
- Store opened store-bought bread loaves and prepackaged store-bought cookies in airtight containers in the fridge to keep them fresher longer.
- Double ketchup's life by adding water a bit at a time as it gets used. Don't add too much or it gets too runny.
- Eliminate the possibility of bugs in your flour and cornstarch by storing in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Use an opened box of baking soda or a couple briquettes of charcoal in a small bowl in the fridge to absorb odors so your food won't absorb them.
- Unused brewed coffee can be stored in a lidded pitcher in the fridge and re-heated in the microwave the next day.
- Sprinkle a little water on leftover casseroles before storing them in the fridge to keep them from drying out.
- Wrap opened sticks of butter in saran wrap to store in the fridge instead of storing in a butter dish to keep air from affecting its taste.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Check out reusables for every part of your life at Reuseit.com
- Pick one or two of the above smart and practical kitchen tips to use today.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also In This Week's Issue
- Finding great gift cards this season
- 5 creative ways to wrap gift cards
- Frugal winter vacation destinations to beat the cold
- 5 celebrity scholarships you can use for college
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free household tips in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free twice weekly newsletter Dollar Stretcher Tips.