Replacing an Alternator
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Can you please tell me how I can replace the alternator on my 1992 Diamante. It is located near the front on the driver's side. Is it hard to do and do you suggest I take it to a repair shop?
It's not very difficult to change an alternator. First, make sure you have the correct replacement part since your car will be inoperable for a while during the repair. Then, disconnect the battery (always negative cable first). Remove the belt (usually done by relieving pressure from the tensioner). Then, disconnect any wires or cables going to the alternator (make note of where they go so you can re-install). Unbolt the alternator. Most models have only two bolts that attach. Some might have more (3 or 4), depending on the style. Then, reinstall in the reverse order. Start with the alternator, then the alternator cables, then the belt, and finally the battery.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- Where can I check for complaints about car dealers before I shop?
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- How to choose new tires
- What you need to know before you shop for an auto loan
- Fly or drive? 9 factors to consider
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators