How Realistic Are You About Your Hair?
by Victor Sabino
Hair Care Savings
Stretching Your Hair Care Dollar
Frugal Solution to Dry Hair
The reason why salon customers become dissatisfied with their stylist usually falls into two categories:
- The client has unrealistic expectations about what their hair will and won't do.
- The stylist has limited ability or training or doesn't educate the client about their hair.
It never ceases to amaze me how clients will chose a hairstyle that does not reflect what their hair will actually do. The first step in making sure that expectations do not lead to disappointment is to take a close look in the mirror. Here are some steps to take when doing so:
- Look into your eyes. Don't look at the skin texture or any slight disappointing facial features or shapes. Look deep into the eye and note the color. That color is a spectrum of what balances your skin tones. Maybe you'll see golds, reds, yellows, or blues. Whatever the spectrum, variations of those colors need to be in your hair either naturally or applied. The choices of those colors will brighten your skin and facial features to work together.
- Now pull your visual back a bit and note the reality of your hair texture. Is it coarse, fine, thick, thin, curly, frizzy, straight or a combination? Does it work with your personality? Is it over stressed by your trying to make it what it isn't or is it compatible with your attitude and the way that you carry yourself?
Being honest with the way that you look is essential for avoiding frustration. If your color or texture is not working for you, then you have probably chosen someone else's hairstyle that does not fit your personality or lifestyle.
There are many stylists to chose from that can either help you to see the reality of your hair and how it enhances your lifestyle or how it has created a monster that has to be controlled everyday or you won't walk outside your door.
A stylist's ability is either forced or natural. A forced ability in a stylist is someone who has not learned the structure or basics with hair. Therefore, they may not have the confidence to guide you. This means that they may not have a full comprehension of one or all of the following: balance, growth patterns, texture, density and color. Please note that I did not mention facial shape. That is an antiquated approach of determining the shape of a style. I always try to bring attention to the eyes because they are the windows of one's true beauty. Missing any of these important components can take a hairstyle from expectation to disappointment.
Maybe you found a stylist that you heard is great. You decide to set up a consultation. This is the time for the stylist to shine, to win you over with their personality and expertise. Put them to the test by asking them to explain how they see all five aspects of your hair. This is to say that you have a realistic summation of your attributes and challenges. If any of those components do not calculate into reality, then most likely neither will the hairstyle.
Now that you see the reality of your hair, you can choose the best style and stylist. Whether your new look requires 10 or 15 minutes in the morning or is a blow'n go, make sure that the balance, growth pattern, texture or density and color will all work together to make your style complete. And remember, ultimately your outer beauty is a reflection of who you are inside.
Take the Next Step:
- Changing to new hairstyle? You can try it "virtual" first before attempting it for real. The HairStyler.com has thousands of haircuts. You upload your photo and "try it on!"
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Where to find the best deals in February
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 4 secrets to being a frugal foodie
- 10 time savers for recapturing lost hours
- Why I won't buy roses on Valentine's Day
- Start planning your beach vacation now