Make an Easy and Elegant Birdbath
by Kathy Wilson
Bringing birds to your garden is one of the great joys of any gardener. Aside from providing food, providing water is a must in creating a wildlife-friendly garden. Here is a quick and easy birdbath that looks elegant and can be made from items you already own or can easily get from your local garden center.
Tall pot or urn, or even a piece of large pipe
A large saucer
Silicone glue, if desired
Several rough stones
- Place your pot or urn in the desired place for your birdbath. Depending on the shape of the vessel, you might wish to turn it upside down. I filled mine with rocks to give it weight and prevent it from blowing over in the wind.
- Place the saucer on top of the pot and glue with silicone to keep in place if desired.
- Place rough stones in saucer to give birds a foothold and then fill saucer with water.
- Plant around the base of the birdbath to soften and add a natural effect. Use low growing plants.
- Place your birdbath in an open area such as a lawn. Birds prefer to be able to view the area for enemies and will use your bath more often if they are not tucked back where a predator can hide. (Helps you to chase off those neighborhood predators as well!)
Kathy Wilson is a home and garden writer, author and consultant and is the home decorating expert for LifetimeTV.com. Visit her for more home and garden ideas at www.TheGardenGlove.com and www.TheBudgetDecorator.com.
Take the Next Step: Look around your home for supplies that you could possibly use to make your own elegant birdbath. Your backyard wildlife will thank you.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?