My Story: Redecorating a Bedroom on a Budget
contributed by Dorothy
I found two large draw drapes with lining at a thrift store in a pretty rose color for $31. The fabric had a pretty shiny design. I made a bedspread for my king-size bed and lined it, so I could slip a comforter inside or use it either way.
For the pillow shams, I made two king-size shams out of a floral rose fabric that a friend had given me and used some of the lining fabric for the backsides. I made another king-size pillow sham out of the rose fabric like the spread. I also made a square pillow out of the floral on one side and the bedspread rose fabric on the other side. I have two floral large pillows with the rose pillow lapping over and the square floral pillow in front of that.
I also made a round bedside table cloth from the rose fabric that goes to the floor with a lamp from a secondhand store. I hung white window sheers with a pleated valance made from the rose fabric.
I still had rose colored fabric left, so I made a slipcover for a beige chair. The rose looked so much prettier than the beige for my bedroom. I also made a slipcover from white drapes (bought from a thrift store) for another upholstered chair. I hung a 17" by 20" picture of pink and white azaleas over the bed using a thrift store picture frame. I didn't keep records, but I estimate that the complete redecorating for my bedroom was not more than $100.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by MyStory@stretcher.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?