My Story: Redecorating a Bedroom on a Budget
contributed by Dorothy
I found two large draw drapes with lining at a thrift store in a pretty rose color for $31. The fabric had a pretty shiny design. I made a bedspread for my king-size bed and lined it, so I could slip a comforter inside or use it either way.
For the pillow shams, I made two king-size shams out of a floral rose fabric that a friend had given me and used some of the lining fabric for the backsides. I made another king-size pillow sham out of the rose fabric like the spread. I also made a square pillow out of the floral on one side and the bedspread rose fabric on the other side. I have two floral large pillows with the rose pillow lapping over and the square floral pillow in front of that.
I also made a round bedside table cloth from the rose fabric that goes to the floor with a lamp from a secondhand store. I hung white window sheers with a pleated valance made from the rose fabric.
I still had rose colored fabric left, so I made a slipcover for a beige chair. The rose looked so much prettier than the beige for my bedroom. I also made a slipcover from white drapes (bought from a thrift store) for another upholstered chair. I hung a 17" by 20" picture of pink and white azaleas over the bed using a thrift store picture frame. I didn't keep records, but I estimate that the complete redecorating for my bedroom was not more than $100.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by MyStory@stretcher.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?