Beauty and the Bargain
by Marlene Alexander
When the nights turn cooler and leaves start thinking about what color to wear for their annual show, we start thinking about cozying up our indoor spaces with an eye to a fall palette. Whether you are using all natural finds, man-made materials or even a blending the two, you can't go too far wrong when using earthy elements like pinecones and leaves.
Pinecones are always visually appealing objects to bring indoors. Try them in different containers, accented with fabric leaves. We laid this thin rectangular vase on its side to line the back of it with the leaves before putting the pinecones in. All vases at Dollarama are only $1 each and there's usually a good selection to choose from. Fabric leaves come in packages of about 20 leaves in different sizes for $1.
This harvest centerpiece was created with a rectangular handled basket, two autumn candle rings used as a base, an autumn pick and some fanciful dollar store gourds. The total cost was $8.
Four dollars and an assist from Mother Nature produced this display. This vase and three berry-laden "twigs" are all from Dollarama and cost $1 each, but it all began with two small fallen branches that took our fancy. Style can be arbitrary so play around with your finds until you've created a thing of beauty in your own eyes.
Marlene Alexander is a writer living in Ontario, Canada. For more on dollar store shopping, visit her website at www.dollarstorestyle.com.
Take the Next Step:
- Check product reviews on Health and Beauty Supplies at Cheapism.com before making a purchasing decision.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Creating an outdoor kitchen
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Saving on water one drop at a time
- Cheaper summer cooling
- Inexpensive landscaping ideas
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?