courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '97 Dodge Caravan. Lately, we have had problems with the A/C and I'm pretty much at my wit's end. We have had four or maybe five belts replaced due to them popping/snapping off. At this point, I don't have any air conditioning because I don't want to pay to have a belt put on again. Could the pulley be "too tight," causing too much tension? My current technicians don't seem to have any idea and even my dad, who is a certified A/C tech, is at a loss. If you have any fresh ideas for us, we would appreciate it.
It is possible that the A/C compressor pulley is not perfectly aligned with the rest of the drive belt pulleys. I had a Saturn that had this happen. No one could figure out what happened. There was only 30,000 miles on the car. No one ever replaced anything. Then one day, it started popping belts. I replaced the belts three times. It would last for a few days and then pop it again. After very careful inspection, it was noticed that the pulley was not aligned correctly. After further inspection, it was determined that the pulley was on backwards. Since that part had been on the car since it was new (and it looked like it also), this boggled everyone's mind, including the vehicle owner.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- For more articles automobiles, check out The Dollar Stretcher Auto Section
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, check out Edmunds.com
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them.
- Save on Auto Insurance. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Can I buy a used car after declaring bankruptcy?
- Ask The Dollar Stretcher: Should I borrow from my 401k to buy a car? Video
- Recharge your car's AC system
- Save on auto insurance by driving less
- How to choose new tires
- Will used-car maintenance bust my budget?
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 DIY tips to save money on auto-body repairs
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 5 ways to avoid overpaying for car repairs
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators