courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I drive a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The temperature gauge goes higher and higher when I am idled in traffic at a light or traffic stop. I have never had many problems with this car since I bought it. What do you think is my problem?
If the temperature goes up while you are stopped and then goes back down when you start moving again, then I bet the cooling fan(s) are not turning on. There are two. One is for normal temperature, and one is for high temperature. One or both of them may be damaged or their control circuits may be damaged.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- 7 secret sales tactics car salesmen hope you don't know
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 8 ways to save on auto insurance
- Homemade window de-icer
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators