Forgotten or Expired Coupons
by Cheryl Maguire
Cut Coupon Clutter
Nothing pains me more than to realize my coupon is expired or forgotten at home. If you forgot your coupon or have an expired coupon, here are some tips to prevent or correct this situation.
Mark your Calendar - If you have a great coupon or rewards coupon (such as CVS Extra Bucks or Best Buy Rewards), mark the expiration date on your calendar. You can also make a notation to use the coupon at least a week or two before it expires.
Use the Coupon Immediately - If you use the coupon as soon as possible, you decrease your chance of forgetting or losing it. Also, if you wait until the last minute to use the coupon, you may be unable to make it to the store (if you get sick, etc.).
Coupon Organizer - If you use a coupon organizer, you can identify coupons that may expire soon by placing them in a certain location or using a sticky tab on the soon to expire coupons.
Coupon = Wallet - Treat your coupons like dollar bills and bring them wherever you would bring your wallet. Using a coupon organizer makes it easier to transport your coupons in the car or store similar to a wallet holding your dollar bills.
Ask if Store Accepts Expired Coupons - Some stores will accept expired coupons, especially if it is a store coupon. If a manufacturer's coupon is only a day or two expired, some stores will also accept the coupon.
Ask about Coupon Reimbursement - If you forget your coupons, ask if the store will reimburse you the next time you shop. Most stores will reimburse you the coupons amount if you bring the coupon and receipt to customer service the next time you shop.
Call Customer Service - If you let a rewards coupon expire (such as CVS Extra Bucks or Best Buy Rewards) and the store will not accept the coupon, trying calling customer service. One time my Best Buy Rewards coupon expired and the store would not accept it. After calling customer service, I was sent a "one time re-issue" of the rewards coupon.
Cheryl Maguire writes money saving articles.
Take the Next Step:
- To check out our coupon page, click here
- For more articles on the use of coupons, please click here.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Tools for reaching your goals Slideshow
- 4 ways to profit from a gift card you don't want
- Natural flea prevention
- Don't overspend on your wedding
- 8 ways to scam-proof your next vacation home rental
- Tips for profitable yard sale presentation
- Rent a garden plot
- Using lemons for your health and cleaning
- Garage Sales 101
- Taking professional quality photos with your cellphone
- Savings for singles
- 10 easy ways to get organized
- What's on sale in March
- 5 types of freebies you can snag today
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in March
- 5 dental scams that can put the bite on you
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 5 cheap -- or even free -- ways to exercise