Be Brave and Save…on Haircuts
by Norene Paulson
Adventures in Home Hairdressing
How Realistic Are You About Your Hair?
Cutting Your Own Hair
How brave are you? Need a haircut but a little short on cash? Don't let a slow economy keep you from looking your best.
Grab the telephone book or access the Internet and look under beauty schools. If you are lucky enough to have one located nearby, you can save as much as 50% to 75% off the cost of a haircut. Keep in mind, however, that this is a learning institution and don't be in a hurry. All cuts are supervised by a licensed instructor.
Keep your hairstyle simple. Whether your hair is long or short, make it manageable and low maintenance. This goes for all family members. Cut back on the number of trips you make to the hair salon by investing in a good pair of scissors. Clip bangs and give trims yourself.
Buy hair clippers. For approximately $25 or less, you can eliminate your family's trips to the hair salon altogether. By doing so, you will save hundreds of dollars a year plus time and gas money. Choose basic hair styles that are easy to maintain. All clippers come with an instructional video, DVD, and/or manual. Follow directions carefully and remember that practice makes perfect.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Norene Paulson is a freelance writer and penny-pincher who writes for children in addition to finding ways to save money one nickel, one dime, or one dollar at a time.
Take the Next Step:
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!
- More great ways to let your radiance shine on our "Beauty on a Budget" Pinterest board
Discuss "Home Haircutting" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
More Money-Saving Lifestyle Tips
- 5 things that cost too much in June
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 4 secrets to being a frugal foodie
- 10 ways to save on natural skincare
- Buy generic? Or not?
- How to throw an awesome party on the cheap