Be Brave and Save…on Haircuts
by Norene Paulson
Adventures in Home Hairdressing
How Realistic Are You About Your Hair?
Cutting Your Own Hair
How brave are you? Need a haircut but a little short on cash? Don't let a slow economy keep you from looking your best.
Grab the telephone book or access the Internet and look under beauty schools. If you are lucky enough to have one located nearby, you can save as much as 50% to 75% off the cost of a haircut. Keep in mind, however, that this is a learning institution and don't be in a hurry. All cuts are supervised by a licensed instructor.
Keep your hairstyle simple. Whether your hair is long or short, make it manageable and low maintenance. This goes for all family members. Cut back on the number of trips you make to the hair salon by investing in a good pair of scissors. Clip bangs and give trims yourself.
Buy hair clippers. For approximately $25 or less, you can eliminate your family's trips to the hair salon altogether. By doing so, you will save hundreds of dollars a year plus time and gas money. Choose basic hair styles that are easy to maintain. All clippers come with an instructional video, DVD, and/or manual. Follow directions carefully and remember that practice makes perfect.
Norene Paulson is a freelance writer and penny-pincher who writes for children in addition to finding ways to save money one nickel, one dime, or one dollar at a time.
Take the Next Step:
- Changing to simpler hairstyle? You can try it "virtual" first before attempting it for real. The HairStyler.com has thousands of haircuts. You upload your photo and "try it on!
- Take control of your finances. Subscribe to our weekly "Surviving Tough Times" newsletter. This free html newsletter will provide ways to survive in this challenging economy. Each issue features nine articles to help you stretch your dollar!
Discuss "Home Haircutting" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Lifestyle
- 7 US cities with plenty of free vacation attractions
- 10 ways to lose a job before you get it
- 7 easy steps to shedding clothing you'll never wear
- 13 ways to score a big raise
- Top 10 best (and real) work-at-home jobs and careers
- 7 costly travel mistakes to avoid
- How to live a life of luxury without going broke