Replacing Lost Buttons
by Melissa Jagears
Make Mending a Habit
Learning to Sew
So, you know how to sew on a button, but you have lost it.
One thing to do as a preventative measure is to take a pill bottle or some small kitchen container to designate for the extra buttons from new purchases. Often when you buy a garment, there is a little resealable bag with a button in it. You need to know where it is years later when that button falls off. Decide where you are going to store all those buttons from now on, so you can find them when needed.
Maybe the garment didn't come with extras or you can't find the extra button. Going to the sewing store will likely cost you $2 to $5 or more for a few buttons like your style of buttons. Not very cheap. And if you buy clothes from the thrift store anyway, the buttons may cost more than you paid for the garment to begin with.
So, head to the local thrift store that sells clothing cheaply (almost all the ones around here sell their garments for $1). Search in any size clothing for buttons similar to yours. Whether or not it fits, has stains or is ugly as sin, if you can find a similar button, you have saved money and have others to spare.
Take it home and lop off all the buttons (putting the extras in your button storage) and get to mending! Throw the buttonless clothing item in the rag bag or scrap material pile.
Also, if you are about to throw a pair of pants or button up shirt in the rag pile, steal its buttons before you do so. Buttons come in handy for repairs or crafts.
Melissa Jagears is a stay-at-home mom who considers it her job to save money any way she can. She gets a kick out of figuring out virtually costless remedies for household needs and wants and shares her ideas on her blog at www.makingdowiththenotsonew.blogspot.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- What you should (and shouldn't) buy in November
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 4 secrets to being a frugal foodie
- 6 ways a pet could save you money
- Make money on Black Friday
- Turning your hobby into extra income
- How to score cheap concert and sport tickets and avoid ripoffs
- 10 steps to zap holiday stress
- Unique ways to wrap holiday gift cards