My Story: Updating Kitchen Cupboards
contributed by Sarah
Reviving Kitchen Cabinets
Rejuvinate Your Countertops
We decided to try repainting and installing new hardware on our existing cupboards. I found painting the melamine very straightforward, and because we gave them a good sanding, we didn't need a primer (as per the instructions of staff from home depot).
We prepared the cupboards by taking them down and sanding them with a handheld electric sander that we rented from Home Depot ($10 for 24 hours). After washing and drying, I gave them two coats of a CIL semi-gloss oil paint (in luminary yellow) using a high density foam roller. I gave the first coat with them lying flat, then put on the second coat once they were back up in the kitchen. I then installed door pulls, purchased at Home Depot. I also repainted the range hood and the fridge in white CIL semi-gloss oil.
All together I estimate that it took us about three to four days of work, about $30 in paint, and $50 in new hardware. We also spent $80 on under-cabinet xenon light pucks, and $60 for new track lighting. I'm pretty happy with what we accomplished for $230!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?