My Story: Updating Kitchen Cupboards
contributed by Sarah
Reviving Kitchen Cabinets
Rejuvinate Your Countertops
We decided to try repainting and installing new hardware on our existing cupboards. I found painting the melamine very straightforward, and because we gave them a good sanding, we didn't need a primer (as per the instructions of staff from home depot).
We prepared the cupboards by taking them down and sanding them with a handheld electric sander that we rented from Home Depot ($10 for 24 hours). After washing and drying, I gave them two coats of a CIL semi-gloss oil paint (in luminary yellow) using a high density foam roller. I gave the first coat with them lying flat, then put on the second coat once they were back up in the kitchen. I then installed door pulls, purchased at Home Depot. I also repainted the range hood and the fridge in white CIL semi-gloss oil.
All together I estimate that it took us about three to four days of work, about $30 in paint, and $50 in new hardware. We also spent $80 on under-cabinet xenon light pucks, and $60 for new track lighting. I'm pretty happy with what we accomplished for $230!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?