Could a new appliance pay for itself in a few years?
Time to Go Appliance Shopping?
(NAPSA) - If you've had your refrigerator, freezer or clothes washer since before your teenagers were in diapers, those old appliances may be wasting your hard-earned money. Saving money and energy may be easier than you think. Compared to a new, Energy Star-qualified model:
- A washer 10 years old or older uses 30 more gallons of water each time you do a load of laundry. That's about as much water as you'd use taking two showers. It also costs $145 more in electricity and water each year.
- A refrigerator 16 years old or older wastes at least $100 a year in electricity.
- If your freezer was built in the 1970s, it costs four times more to operate.
It may pay not to wait until these energy and water hogs break, but to save water and energy by replacing them now. When you do shop for a new unit, look for the blue Energy Star label. Every major appliance manufacturer sells qualified refrigerators, which must be at least 20 percent more efficient than the minimum federal energy standard, and qualified freezers, which must be at least 10 percent more efficient. Qualified clothes washers are 40 percent more energy and water efficient than the minimum federal energy standard.
If you're buying a new unit, you may also be able to take advantage of rebates on new energy-efficient appliances through federal stimulus funds. Once you have your new appliances, be sure to recycle the old ones properly. Not only is it good for the environment, it could be good for your wallet. Some companies and others may pay you to do so.
Visit www.energystar.gov/recycle to find recycling options and learn about rebates and special deals.
Take the Next Step:
- Check Kitchen Appliance product reviews at Cheapism.com before you spend your money.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?