Cleaning vinyl siding that's soiled with tar
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
How to Clean Vinyl Siding
Renewing Vinyl Siding
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
What will clean tar from white vinyl siding? Roofers tossed the old roofing off and some streaks got on the siding. Any ideas on cleaning vinyl siding?
Need Petroleum Product
The only way to remove tar from siding is by using a petroleum product. If I were you, I would have the roofing company replace the siding on your house where the tar is. If they can't replace just a few pieces due to color change, they may have to reside the whole side of your home so it looks the same.
WD-40® cleaned tar from several pairs of jeans, and it removes goo from just about any hard surface. I'd give it a try!
Cola for Cleaning Vinyl Siding? Really?
My in-laws drove a rented camper through fresh road tar and ended up using cola to get it off! They were looking at automotive products when someone suggested that they try the cola. Since it was a fraction of the price of the products, they figured it was as good a place to start as any. Well, they poured on the cola, and my father-in-law said that the tar just slid off the side of the camper (which was made of something similar to siding). You might want to try the cola as well.
Another WD-40® Proponent
It is actually a solvent not a lubricant as many people think and dissolves rust on things like nuts and bolts. It will also clean paintbrushes used for oil-based paints and stains and get oil and grease off hands. As always, with any new method, test on a small, inconspicuous area.
Veronica in Central NY
Do the Job with Lestoil®
Lestoil® cuts tar. Apply to a small area before trying it on a large area. Then rinse with soapy water. Lestoil® also cleans grease, oil, and ink from items. This is especially good for clothes that have oil spots or when a ball point pen gets into your dryer!
Get Roofers to Fix Their Mistake
If the roofers did it, contact them and tell them to submit it to their insurance for replacement of damaged siding.
Not Just for Hands…
Waterless hand cleaner works for me every time I get tar or creosote on anything.
for tools and supplies for your home improvement project Shop at AceHardware.com
Fix the Goof with Goof Off®
Goof Off® will get it off. Or try the bug and tar remover you can get for cars.
Suzie in Seattle
Take the Next Step:
- Stink! Use SCOE 10X - The Odor Eliminator to remove the toughest of odors.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
- For more on cleaning vinyl siding, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Community.
- Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- A comparison of cordless tools: Is cheapest the most frugal?
- How to avoid overloaded electric this Christmas
- Two routines to keep your home running smoothly
- Homemade wrinkle releaser
- Being prepared for a power outage
- Burn corn to heat your home
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?