Saving money can be fun!
by Mark Hooson
My Story: Just Start
6 Squirrely Ways to Save
When you are saving money, there are a variety of ways to do it. Nothing says variety like an old-fashioned mix-tape. Take a look at this playlist and see if it hits the right note.
"Back In Black" -AC/DC
Get yourself out of the red and back in the black by clearing your credit card debts. If you can manage to clear it in one go, it will save money in the long-run on monthly interest payments.
"Telephone" -Lady GaGa
Think about your home phone package. If you haven't changed it in a while, there may well be a better deal out there to save you money. These days most people use their cell phone more than their land-line. Can you do away with the home phone all together?
"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" -The Smiths
Okay, they will go out eventually, but energy saving light bulbs need to be replaced far less frequently than old-fashioned ones. Next time one of your bulbs goes out, replace it with an energy-saver.
"Hip To Be Square" -Huey Lewis and the News
It might not be very exciting or cool, but putting the money you do save in a savings account is a sure-fire way to make sure that you reap the rewards of your hard money-saving work.
Hitchin' A Ride -Green Day
If you work in the same office or area as a friend or relative, carpool and take it in turns to drive to work. You'll save money on fuel and have some company for the journey.
"Money For Nothing" -Dire Straits
You can make some money by selling things that no longer mean anything to you. Remember that one man's trash is another man's treasure, and if you're not using it, it's potentially a handful of cash sitting there doing nothing. List your stuff on eBay, or hold a yard or garage sale.
"Can't Buy Me Love" -The Beatles
When you're in a relationship, weekends in particular can be expensive. Find fun things you can do for free to save money. Visit a museum or an art exhibition. You can also kill two birds with one stone by going for a walk or a bike ride to save some money and get some exercise.
"Low Budget" -The Kinks
Living within your means is always a good starting point, but saving money is possible by living below your means too. When doing your groceries, look at cheaper brands than you usually go for. The savings will add up over time.
Mark Hooson is a financial writer for leading UK price comparison website MoneySupermarket.com. Mark has written on the subjects of savings, credit and debt management.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- How investing style changes over your lifetime
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- What to do if your credit card rate goes up
- Bank loyalty rewards you might be missing out on
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- How to get your side hustle going with crowdfunding
- Combining loans before mortgage application
- Excessive investor fees on packaged products
- Pre-marital financial counseling
- 5 steps to negotiating a better and smarter deal
- 3 critical elements for successful budgeting
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates