Readers' recipes for homemade floor cleaner
Homemade Floor Cleaner
Comparing Steam Mops
Cleaning Laminate Floors
Tools, Trick and Techniques for No Wax Floors
Homemade Floor Cleaner
How do you make homemade floor cleaner? Any recipes?
Depends on Floor Type
The homemade floor cleaner depends on the type of floor. I use a cup of white vinegar in the mop bucket full of warm water for my sealed hardwood, because it doesn't leave a residue. Make sure to dry it right away! I use an old towel wrapped around a dry mop head.
I just use water and a microfibre mop on my tiles, except for spot cleaning, where I use dish soap on a wet rag. For something really greasy or sticky, I use some Simple Green® diluted as indicated on the bottle in a spray bottle. Let sit for a few minutes, then wipe away.
I avoid frequent mopping of the tiles and spot clean for as long as I can, because mopping just pushes the dirty water into the grout and discolors it. I wipe up the spills and spots and then go over with a wrung-out microfibre mop with just warm water.
For showers, I use the regular shower cleaner and a deck brush purchased at the boating supply store. Saves my back! White vinegar also works well on soap scum and mineral buildup. Pour on about a cup full-strength.
Use a Steam Mop
A steam mop is the best floor cleaner I've ever seen. Steam mops come with pads that are washable and reusable. You fill up the mop with water, let it heat up, and start mopping. The steam really cleans dirt and stains off the floor and disinfects without the chemicals.
White Vinegar Does Trick
A great inexpensive floor cleaner is basic white distilled vinegar. Use one cup to a gallon of hot water. It removes detergent build up also.
I use a little liquid soap in a bucket of water with a few drops of essential oil added in for homemade floor cleaner.
Take the Next Step:
- For more recipes for homemade cleaners, please click here.
- To read more on homemade floor cleaner or to add your own ideas, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Community.
Discuss "Free Homemade Floor Cleaner" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?