Readers' recipes for homemade floor cleaner
Homemade Floor Cleaner
Comparing Steam Mops
Cleaning Laminate Floors
Tools, Trick and Techniques for No Wax Floors
Homemade Floor Cleaner
How do you make homemade floor cleaner? Any recipes?
Depends on Floor Type
The homemade floor cleaner depends on the type of floor. I use a cup of white vinegar in the mop bucket full of warm water for my sealed hardwood, because it doesn't leave a residue. Make sure to dry it right away! I use an old towel wrapped around a dry mop head.
I just use water and a microfibre mop on my tiles, except for spot cleaning, where I use dish soap on a wet rag. For something really greasy or sticky, I use some Simple Green® diluted as indicated on the bottle in a spray bottle. Let sit for a few minutes, then wipe away.
I avoid frequent mopping of the tiles and spot clean for as long as I can, because mopping just pushes the dirty water into the grout and discolors it. I wipe up the spills and spots and then go over with a wrung-out microfibre mop with just warm water.
For showers, I use the regular shower cleaner and a deck brush purchased at the boating supply store. Saves my back! White vinegar also works well on soap scum and mineral buildup. Pour on about a cup full-strength.
Use a Steam Mop
A steam mop is the best floor cleaner I've ever seen. Steam mops come with pads that are washable and reusable. You fill up the mop with water, let it heat up, and start mopping. The steam really cleans dirt and stains off the floor and disinfects without the chemicals.
White Vinegar Does Trick
A great inexpensive floor cleaner is basic white distilled vinegar. Use one cup to a gallon of hot water. It removes detergent build up also.
I use a little liquid soap in a bucket of water with a few drops of essential oil added in for homemade floor cleaner.
Take the Next Step:
- For more recipes for homemade cleaners, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Library .
- To read more on homemade floor cleaners, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Community.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
Discuss "Free Homemade Floor Cleaner" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?