Is there an inexpensive way of removing a downed tree?
Removing a Downed Tree
Inexpensive Tree Removal
Adventures in Gardening: Might Your Tree Crack?
Removing a Downed Tree
How do I get a tree that is down on the ground removed for a cheap price?
They'll Take It Away with a Smile
Advertise it in your local free penny saver magazine. Lots of folks have wood stoves and are always looking for free firewood. They usually have chain saws and will take it away free with a smile.
People Are Looking for Your Tree
My husband is constantly scouring Craigslist.com for people who have trees that we can use for firewood. He'll take them standing (he'll fall the tree) or on the ground and has all the equipment and experience to cut it up to size and bring it home. Try it! We prefer hardwoods (oak and fruit trees), but we have friends who like the softer woods (pine, redwood, etc.) because of physical disabilities that prevent them from lifting heavier logs for the fire place.
There are plenty of folks on Freecycle who are using wood stoves for heat, and they post a few times a year, requesting fallen trees that they can cut up and haul back home. This is their prime season to do this, so the wood can be dried in time for winter. Go to Freecycle and find the Freecycle Yahoogroup for your local area. Or, if you'd rather go low-tech, you can put up a notice on your local supermarket or library bulletin board advertising free firewood for the chopping.
Laura in New Jersey
Woodworker's Dream Come True
If the wood is still good and it's a woodworking wood (maple, walnut, fruit tree, etc.), call a woodworking place and see if they want the wood for free if they come to get it. Years ago, my dad did this when our birch trees needed to be taken down.
Lisa in Ypsilanti
Take the Next Step:
- To read more on removing a downed tree or to add your own ideas, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Community.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?