Expert advice on carpet cleaning
courtesy of YorkCarpet.com
Removing Carpet Stains
Carpet Cleaning Solutions
Cheaper Carpet Cleaning
There are things that you can do to aid in keeping your carpet in good condition.
First, blot or scrape up the excess of any spill. Be sure to preset the removal method on an area of fabric or carpet that cannot be seen. Then proceed with the spot carpet cleaning outline below for individual stains.
Butter, Cooking Oil, Crayon, Hand Lotion, Mascara, Shoe Polish, Tar: Gently apply a commercial solvent and blot carefully to absorb all the spill. Then apply a mild detergent solution. Blot up excess again. Then wipe gently with a cloth soaked with water and blot dry.
Blood, Catsup, Chocolate, Mud, Egg, Ice Cream, Mayonnaise, Milk, Soy Sauce: Apply a mild detergent solution. Blot to absorb the excess. Apply a small amount of ammonia and blot again. Then repeat this time with a mild detergent and blot again. Wipe gently with cloth soaked with water and blot dry.
Beer, Berries, Candy, Coffee, Fruit Juices, Mixed Drinks, Soft Drinks, Wine: Apply a mild detergent solution. Blot to absorb the excess. Apply a small amount of vinegar and the detergent once again. Blot. Then wipe gently with a cloth soaked with water and blot dry. If none of the recommended steps work, you might wish to enlist the services of an expert. Be aware that do-it-yourself cleaning efforts might render the stain difficult for even an expert to remove.
Water Damage Cleaning:
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping or sweeping.
- Wipe furniture dry and block it up to allow the base to dry.
- Lift draperies off the carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod
- Remove wet area rugs or other loose floor coverings
- Open furniture drawers, closet doors, and luggage to enhance drying
- Move photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe, dry location
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread them out to dry
- Do not use ordinary household vacuum to remove water
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without professional help. Lifting the carpet incorrectly could damage the backing
Article courtesy of YorkCarpet.com, a professional rug, carpet and upholstery cleaning in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Visit their website or call toll free 800.310.4640.
Take the Next Step:
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?