A reader tests Debbie Meyer Green Bags™
My Story: Green Bags
contributed by Mary-Ann
Keeping Produce Fresh
I recently decided to try the Debbie Meyer Green Bags™ for keeping produce fresh longer. I'd read many mixed comments and reviews of these bags over time, but thought I'd give them a try anyway. Well, they have paid for themselves over and over again!
The trick that makes a huge difference in the success rate is that produce has to be absolutely dry, so don't wash anything until you're actually ready to use it. Also putting a paper towel at the bottom of the bag to absorb any condensation that may form makes the biggest difference! Again, the idea is to keep things dry.
Don't close the Green Bags™ tightly or seal them with a tie or bag clip. The produce still needs to be able to breathe a little. Just folding the bags over or giving the top a very loose twist works best. For items left out on the counter, I just roll the bag down a little and leave it open. I've had great success as long as I follow those few guidelines!
I carefully wash my Green Bags™ out after each use and hang to air dry, and then I refold them and store in the box they came in until the next time I need them. I have not had to throw out any fruits or vegetables since I bought the bags about three months ago. So as I've said, they've paid for themselves!
I'm not sure how much I've saved in dollars, but now I only occasionally have to add fresh fruit or vegetables to my grocery list, as now I always seem to have enough on hand. No more waste and replace!
I'm going to be giving these Green Bags™ to friends and family for Christmas gifts with the extra tips included. At about $10 a box, it's an affordable gift for me to be able to buy, and I know that everyone will welcome a very useful, money saving gift!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it to MyStory@stretcher.com.
Take the Next Step:
- For more on keeping produce fresh, please click here.
- Everyone knows that the right tool can make any job easier. The same is true in the kitchen. Click here for some great kitchen tool ideas.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Using MeetUp.com to save money
- Avoiding vacation debt & regret Video
- Can you save your smartphone from water damage? Giveaway
- Get well gift basket ideas
- How to be generous but frugal
- To elope? Or not?
- How to quit your day job for your dream job
- How to build a wardrobe on any budget
- Top 10 best (and real) work-at-home jobs and careers
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 6 reasons why it's dumb to buy a smartphone
- How to live a life of luxury without going broke