Is there a homemade version that costs less than Red Bull or 5-hour Energy®?
Homemade Energy Drinks
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
Improve Your Sleep for Less
Homemade Energy Drinks
Energy drinks such as Red Bull® and 5-hour Energy® are expensive. Do you know of anything that can be made at home with average, not exotic ingredients that accomplish the same boost?
Mary Ann R.
Buy Aldi's Energy Drink
While I'm not creative enough to make my own energy drinks, I do buy them at Aldi. They have a low-carb version for 99 cents each. They also have a version of Red Bull (4 pack for $2.99). They aren't quite like the originals in taste, but have the caffeine that I'm looking for.
Keep It Natural and Healthy
I found some recipes for those times when a boost really is needed. Except for the first being sugar packed, these don't have the chemicals and body wrecking ingredients. They are natural and healthy.
B-12 for Energy
Don't spend your money on energy drinks. Take B-12. B-12 comes in both drops and tablets. You either put a dropper full under your tongue, wait 30 seconds and then swallow or put a tablet under you tongue until it's dissolved. B-12 is dissolved under your tongue so that it gets into you blood stream fast. I prefer the tablets although I have used both. If you read the ingredients on the back of energy drinks, they have a major dose of vitamin B-12 in them. The reason for the major dose is because you can't overdose on B-12. When you need more energy, take a tablet or drops. The dosage of B-12 tablets varies so purchase the mcg that you feel you need. As with everything, the quality and price of B-12 available varies by manufacturer so purchase from a manufacture you trust. You should be able to get 100 tablets for about $6 so even if you take five a day, you're looking at spending $.30 a day for a full day's energy instead of several dollars per can several times a day. You also will not be putting excessive amounts of sugar and other unnecessary stuff into your body. You probably won't need five a day. Two a day work great for me (500 mcg tablet). I take one in the morning to get me started and one around 2pm to fight the afternoon slump.
Natural Ways to Revive
Energy drinks are loaded with caffeine. They're not good for you and can be addictive. Instead, you might try some natural ways to revive yourself.
- Eat an apple. It's supposed to have a better effect than drinking a cup of coffee.
- Get outside for a few minutes. Sunlight boosts energy and so does exercise so take a short walk while you're out.
- If you can't go out, find a window and just bask for a few minutes. Then do some stretches; movement revives you.
- Try aromatherapy. Peppermint and Citrus scents are supposed to perk you up.
- Put on headphones and listen to some upbeat music.
- Take a break. If you can find a private spot to lay your head down, set your phone alarm for a quick 15-minute nap. And make sure you get eight hours of sleep at night.
Most important of all, stay away from energy drinks and keep looking for alternative ways to boost your energy.
Buy groceries, earn cash back at Checkout 51
Good Strong Coffee for Caffeine Boost
Strong coffee can give a good caffeine boost, but I suggest that a good night's sleep is even better. Drinking energy drinks should be unnecessary if a person eats a good diet and/or takes a multivitamin and gets adequate rest.
Barbara in CT
Take the Next Step:
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter. Each issue of this html newsletter features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources.
- Visit our Beverage section in the TDS Library today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Also in Food & Groceries
- How to use your grill as a smoker
- Freezing fruits & veggies
- Reduce the cost of lunchmeat
- How to know when you need new spices
- 10 ways to eat organic on the cheap
- The secrets of making really good coffee at home
- July bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- 3 ways to resist coupon seduction Video
- 7 restaurant tricks you shouldn't fall for
- 7 frugal ways to save money on groceries
- Savings challenge: Create a weekly dinner menu