A new look for a few dollars and a little time
How to Update a Dining Set on a Budget
by Kathy Woodard
My Story: Easy Reupholstery
When decorating dining rooms, one of the biggest problems most of us have is our home-decorating budget. It's difficult if not impossible for most of us to purchase a new dining set when we want a decorating update. But for just a few dollars, you can update your dining set in just a weekend for a whole new decorating look! Here's how:
Choose a new fabric to recover your dining seats. Go for a newer, modern print in a cool geometric or a new trendy color. This update alone will help make your furniture seem fresh and new!
You have a lot of choices in paint colors for your dining table redo, but unless you have a funky decorating scheme, stay with something neutral. I like satin black, espresso brown or gloss white. For the bold at heart, choose a daring color for the table or the chairs, but not both!
Dining table and chairs
Fabric in a modern print and color
Satin or Gloss paint
Foam brush or good quality paintbrush
Optional: Clear water-based polyurethane
Find a place to work where you don't have to worry about dust, paint drips and a mess. A garage is ideal. If you have to redo your dining set outside, make sure it is not a windy day to prevent your paint job from being ruined by dust and debris.
To redo your dining set inside, place a large drop cloth underneath your dining set and then place small squares of wax paper under table and chair legs so you can paint all the way to the floor.
Step one: Remove seat covers from dining chairs. Cut fabric pieces several inches larger than the seat. Lay the fabric down on the floor, wrong side up. Lay the seat on top of the fabric, centered, also wrong side up. Using a staple gun, pull the fabric edges around to the back of the chair seat, and staple every couple inches. Remember to pull snug so the fabric will lay flat. Repeat with all chair seats.
Step two: Sand and prime dining chairs and table. Let dry 24 hours.
Step three: Paint dining table and chairs with your chosen paint, following manufacturer's instructions on the can. You will likely need several coats. Let dry 24 hours. I like to use a mini foam roller on the tabletop itself. It gives a smoother finish without brush marks.
Step four: If desired, coat with a water-based polyurethane to protect the surface. Remember to choose a clear coat in the same finish as your paint. If you used satin paint, use satin poly.
Step five: Reattach chair seats using the same screws or bolts.Done! Remember that the key to updating your dining set is to choose fabrics and paint colors that reflect today's more contemporary styles.You can update your dining set on a budget and set the tone for the gathering space for your home with a fresh new look.
Take the Next Step:
- For more great home decorating ideas, please visit here.
Discuss "Affordable Dining Options" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?