When you're trying to avoid bankruptcy
Who to Contact to Work Out a Debt Repayment Plan
by Steve Rhode, the Get Out of Debt Guy
6 Tips for Paying Down Credit Card Debt
Budgeting Debt Repayment
Which Debt First?
I am currently in debt about $120,000.00 in unsecured debt. I am self-employed and business has not been good enough to pay the bills.
I am over three months behind. I read your book and you said to contact you for names of people to contact who have authority. I need names for Bof A, Advanta, Citi Bank, Am. Ex. Chase, and Compass Bank. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated. I want to try and pay these bills and avoid bankruptcy.
The best point of contact will be the collection numbers or customer service. What you will want to ask for are the details on their "internal hardship programs." These internal programs may reduce your payment or interest.
However don't agree to any program until you contact all of your creditors and find out what the hardship program payments would be. Once you get answers from all the creditors, you can then determine if the combined payments are affordable for you. There is no sense launching off on a solution you can't afford.
You could also contact a credit counseling group, but since you've already indicated you can't make the current minimum payments, the credit counseling solution might not do the trick.
I would suggest you use the free How to Get Out of Debt Calculator to review your other options for dealing with the debt.
Steve, the Get Out of Debt Guy
Steve Rhode is an experienced debt expert who assist consumers for free to find good solutions for bad debt. He sells no products or services, just provides free assistance through his site at GetOutOfDebt.org.
Take the Next Step:
- For more on credit card debt repayment, please visit here.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Critical Condition
- The emotions behind buying stuff
- Selling your gold without getting ripped off
- When you need to find a job quickly
- How do I make my spouse a tightwad?
- Tips for radical cost cutting
- Control your spending by using cash
- Sick of medical debt? 9 ways to break free
- 5 ways to rebound from a financial disaster
- Is my 401(k) protected from debt collectors?
- 10 steps to take before bankruptcy
- Can stigma of bankruptcy hurt a job hunt?
- 6 risky ways to pay off your credit card debt
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Calculate the real cost of your debt
- Debt pay-down calculator
- Calculate the true cost of paying just the minimum
- Reduce credit card debt calculator